Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,453   Online: 1161

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Is there any reason to look for a newer edition of this book? It's not like view cameras have changed alot since the first edition. Or did later editions correct errors? I'm figuring since all my cameras are older then the first edition any edition should be fine. Make sense?

Shooter
    Large Format
    No reason, if you learned and used the camera since then, then use your money for film.

Interesting. Everybody makes out like it's a treasure trove of info. Used copies aren't very expensive so I figured I'd keep an eye out for one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Im not sure what book yu are talking about. Leslie Stroebel wrote a pretty comprehensive text I think is called View Camera Technique. It is a textbook, and is very inclusive with in depth info on optics and optics theory, and lenses and lens design. This book I have seen on occasion at Borders and sells new for $60-$70.

Stroebel also had a more basic book called View Camera Basics, still a pretty good intro book to LF and a resource that will answer almost any question someone would have about LF cameras and use.

Finally there is the Steve Simmons book. I don't remember its specific title, but INHO it is a waste of money because there is nothing in it that can not be easily found on the The LF Phtography web site and related links or from individuals on this site.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Like Jim said, Leslie Stroebel's book is very comprehensive and I imagine the latest edition has more updated prices etc. I have the 4th edition and I have no need to get the latest edition. The Simmons book is merely a primer for absolute beguinners, think of the difference between a real novel and the Cliff notes...you get the gist of the idea but nowhere as thorough and IMO a waste of money I made the mistake of getting it and if you want it send me your address and I will mail it to you.

Yes Stroebel's book. I've seen older editions for less then $10. I have the Simmons book and all I got out of it was a better understanding of how to figure out bellows compensation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I also have simmons book and it was a waste of the money.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    at a girl Aggie!
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Large Format
    Than again Aggie, LF is not for everyone. Michael Kenna makes beautiful pics with a Hasselblad.....it is all in the eye I guess...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin