Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,680   Online: 1059

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images
    Ok, this could be the stupid question of the week, but here goes! What is the best fluid to clean an old ground glass? There is a lot of buildup on the rough side of my 8x10 glass. I have heard that Windex is ok, as long as I rinse it and then air dry it (no whiping) any other tips?
    hi!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That's about it. From the standpoint of optics, there's not too much one can do to damage ground glass outside of outright breakage. The main reason not to wipe is to insure absence of fibers inside the camera where they might easily be transferes to film later.

I've used cameras where the gg was cracked, "rubbed" (gg smoothed due to "contact" with sharp object), or otherwise damaged. There is a consideration of resale value or preservation of course.

dr bob.
    R. Eugene Smith
    Annapolis

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If your groundglass has grid marks or format outlines, be careful, because you might erase them. Test in an inconspicuous place first. I did this to a Linhof GG with Windex. Fortunately it was no great loss, because the format outlines didn't quite match my 6x7 back, and I don't mind penciling in my own grid lines, but it did make a mess.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Images
    I've always used soap and water with towel dry. Just like a dish. I had one with lines on it and I purposely removed them with acetone.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I also cleaned my ground glass with soap and water and removed all the grid lines. Fortunately the grid lines are faintly etched into the glass I have so if I want to I can draw them back in (I suppose). I've never felt that I needed to though, as I can see the etched lines if I look for them. The ground glass on my 4x5 had a lot of tar and discolouration from being in a room with heavy smoke for a number of years. It works fine now.
    Brian McDowell

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The best glass cleaner I have found is Invisible Glass from the auto section of Wallymart. Works great for cars windows as well. Is fine for groundglass as long as the lines are not just drawn on - test first.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The only time you need to be careful cleaning the ground glass is if has a non-removeable fresnel lens attached. Getting fluid in between the two surfaces is bad news.

- Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi

I always take Kodak lens cleaner for all thad staff!
    Good light and nice shadows!

www.artfoto.ch

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    I took mine off and put it in the dishwasher along with the dishes.
    huh?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin