Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,749   Online: 942

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    My Crown Graphic isn't my main 5x4 camera, it's not so much the monetary value as its practical value as a hand-held LF camera. . .

Ian
    Perhaps you should simply focus using the rangefinder. Mine is very accurate, and I've had success using it hand held.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good thinking, so I just tried

The camera came with an early 30's 135mm Tessar, which I've just replace with a 135mm Caltar (Sironar) as the Tessar just wasn't sharp enough. OK I have no Infinity stops (but I have a pair I can use back in the UK) so setting the trackbed & scale at infinity I focussed the lens at inifinity on the screen and locked it inplace. The rangefinder was way out - however . . . .

I changed the lens, instead fitting a 50's coated 150mm Tessar and did the same, bingo the rangefinder's relatively accurate, so the cam is for a 150mm rather than the 135mm lens that came with the camera.

So thats fine if I want to use a 150mm lens but I do like the 135mm and also use a 90mm & want to try a 7½" for portraits. In addition I regularly use tilt. A new screen is on it's way.

Thanks Robert, now I know I can use the Rangefinder, I have another cam off a different Graphic back in the UK so I'll see if that's any different to the one fitted.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    There was an article in the US Camera Techniques that described making your own GG. I tried it, needed a GG for a 2x3 Graphic, and was very surprised at how easy it was to do. You basically get some fine polishing stuff from a telescope supply, then use a small piece of glass to grind away. I used 2 grit levels, to get a very fine 'tooth' and it is way brighter than the old one, which was original and had a crack. I keep thinking about doing one for my 4x5 Graflex, but leaving the finer grit for just the center so that the coarser one is on the edges, more brighter I think.
    If you need to do 5 and are on a budget, doing it yourself is pretty easy and very cheap.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Unless your Graflex is a fairly late model, it won't have interchangeable cams, so the cam would not be the problem. If you visit Graflex.org, they have the instructions for calibrating the RF to your lens.

I would not bank on the fact that your RF is calibrated for a 150 lens unless you test is at all distances. (Most I have seen were factory set for a 127mm Ektar lens.) This is because there are three adjustments possible. Any combination of them could be on or off. One is for infinity, one is for 15 feet, and another is for four feet (or perhaps six...my memory fails me).

Fresnels make a big difference! That's why they were invented. I would like to see the difference when the Graflex has a fresnel installed.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's a 1961 Crown Graphic, I'd not looked into adjustmentof the Rangefinder, hower "The Hugo Meyer is not a bad Rangefinder, but it has a fixed cam, and each model of the Hugo Meyer is made for and dedicated to a specific focal length of lens. You cannot replace the lens with one of a different focal length and adjust the Hugo Meyer RF internally as you can with the Kalart.. You set infinity with a screw under the narrow model number plate which must be removed. They are built on a square tube inside like the Leica screwmount RF, and are very rugged."

Obviously when I checked it earlier I tried a variety of distances and the Hugo Meyer rangfinder seemed fairly accuarte with a 150mm lens at all of them. I have to check & set the Rangefinder on my WA Speed Graphic, it's some kind of 3rd party special, the adjusters are visible easily, it's factory set for a lens of somewhere around 90mm.

Unfortunately just adding a fresnel to the current Graflex screen won't make that much difference, it would make it better by being less directional and greatly aid overall viewing of the whole screen but it won't make an iota of difference to the inherent 4 stops difference of screen brightness measured from the centre of both Wista & Graphic screen.

I have a Cambo (in the UK) which does have a seperate fresnel and I'll see just how much difference it makes next time I'm in England. I'll try it with the Graphic screen I'm replacing.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yep. A 1961 model will have cams! My comments were Re: Kalart side RFs.

I installed a fresnel on my Sinar and it improved things greatly...however it did it.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Yep. A 1961 model will have cams! My comments were Re: Kalart side RFs.
    Not when it's got a Hugo Meyer side mounted rangefinder

Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    I installed a fresnel on my Sinar and it improved things greatly...however it did it.
    Fresnels work brilliantly and can really help, but unfortunately not with such a poor screen. I know my Cambo screen's not bad without the fresnel and I'd guess significantly brighter than the Graphic. The fresnel makes it far better as it gives more even illumination and apparent brightness towards the edges and corners of the image.

Ian.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    The Wista screen has the Fresnel built into it.

It makes virtuall no difference wheter you read from the dead centre of the screen or not, I just tried it, the Wista does have a non fresnel centre circle of just under an inch diameter, and of course if you view from off centre this area is more directional.

None of that alters the fact that theres a very definite 4 stops difference between the two screens.

Ian
    I guess that answers that. You are saying even when measured from the center of both there was a 4 stop difference. The Graphic's glass has been cleaned on both sides (I guess so, as you said you restored the camera)? It still seems like a huge difference (ie 32 times brighter). But if that is what you measured then it is what it is. If you replace it, let us know how it works.

I had a Crown for a short period, they are really fantastic!
    Last edited by ic-racer; 07-24-2008 at 08:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wondering if the built-in Fresnel allowed the use of a finer grinding on the glass. IIRC (debatable) the finer the grain, the brighter the image but the more fall-off you get at the edges; the Fresnel would counter the fall-off. IDK: just guessing!

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F. View Post
    IIRC (debatable) the finer the grain, the brighter the image but the more fall-off you get at the edges; the Fresnel would counter the fall-off. IDK: just guessing!

Cheers, Bob.
    Hello Bob,
    That is incorrect: finer grain does not cause light fall-off, but increases the hotspot, but this difference might only be linguistic.
    It is possible to have a very finegrained groundglass and keep brightness up in the corners, without Fresnel!

Geert

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin