Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,560   Posts: 1,545,258   Online: 797

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Ian. Being in the U.K., have you even considered a Bosscreen? http://www.stabitech.nl/Bosscreen.ht...eenGroundglass
    It might be too expensive for your needs. (approx. 94 GBP) I replaced a older Beattie, with a Bosscreen on my Linhof Tech. V 4x5, and it's soooo nice. Due to it's unique design, there's no granularity or hotspots with the image. Very easy to focus too.
    "If I'm a rebel sanctioned by society, encouraged by my parents, and cheered on by Hallmark, what is left to rebel against?"
    Hal Niedzviecki

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Paddy, I'm going to buy screens from GVB, I'm confident they'll be excellent for most of my needs, and I'll try his Lumigrid type as well.

Meanwhile I have a "Super Screen" on it's way for the Graphic, I particularly wanted a Fesnel type screen, I'll see what that's like I can always use the fresnel with one of Geert's screens.

If I didn't already have a Beattie screen on my 10x8, and the excellent screen on my Wista, I'd be interested in a Bosscreen - now in my Bookmarks

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've recently brought a 5x4 screen from http://sheetfilm.be/ (lumigrid) as a spare for my Shen Hao, it's very good, and I've fitted it as my main screen.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did ask how good Shen Hao screens were somewhere back in this thread so are you saying they aren't that good Dave ?

I have heard of others fitting Satin Snow screens instead.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Eventually my "Super screen" arrived in the UK just before Christmas after a lot of problems with the supplier, it's a long story, but when I returned to the UK last month & opened it I found I'd been sent a plain Fresnel screen, I cannot recommend buying from Global Matters. There are threads about his business practices on the LFIF and elsewhere, lax US trading laws make it difficult to gain redress from him.

However adding the screen to my Crown Graphic is going to make a significant difference as can be seen in this very quick snapshot.

I found I already had a spare glass screen I've no idea where it came from but it's brighter than the one fitted at the moment so the two combined should improve brightness and usability further. At the moment the fresnel screen (fitted on the outside) makes a difference of over 1½ stops measured with a Spot-meter and the camera is far easier to focus.

Ian

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    My Crown Graphic isn't my main 5x4 camera, it's not so much the monetary value as its practical value as a hand-held LF camera. It just doesn't warrant buying a new Beattie/Maxwell screen when I'd be more than happy with a screen that was close in brightness to my Wista and Cambo's screens.

Yes of course you're right to say it's worth improving a camera if possible, and I've changed the lens and now feel it's worth upgrading the screen, purely to make it a more usable camera but at a reasonable cost.

Ian
    Ian, A dumb question, are you using the rangefinder/viewfinder when handholding the Crown?...Evan Clarke

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Sorry, just read the dates...EC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eclarke View Post
    Sorry, just read the dates...EC
    No problem I resurrected the thread today as I only just finally tried the new screen, I only returned to Turkey a couple of days ago..

I use the viewfinder and or wire finder, but I focus on the screen. I intend to fit a new range-finder mirror, it appears to be accurate with my 150mm lens, but I left my Infinity stops taped to a Speed Graphic in the UK so that'll have to wait another few months.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This all just goes to show that nothing beats a good piece of glass!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    This all just goes to show that nothing beats a good piece of glass!

Steve
    The Fresnel screen is plastic :o

Ian

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin