Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,548   Posts: 1,544,538   Online: 1008

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leicam5 View Post
    What exactly is gaffer tape, and what is the difference between that and duct tape?
    We, non anglophones, sometimes get confused by your words...

Philippe
    Philippe,

Gaffer's tape is, at least in my experience, black and somewhat like cloth in texture, with an adhesive that is less likely to get left behind when the tape is removed. It is about the same thickness as duct tape and is often used by stage workers or other people who set up a lot of equipment temporarily. It is quite strong, like duct tape, but does not make nearly as much mess as duct tape.

- Randy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    For bellows pinholes-- I use Golden heavy body carbon black acrylic paint. It does a great job with pinholes and is really easy to work with. I've even used it to repair rips using masking tape as a temporary sandwich. Gaffer's tape is handy, but it's designed to have a short term adhesive to release well. For some temporary fixes, it would be ok.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gaffer's tape comes in black and white. It is a cloth tape with a very good adhesive that doesn't get gunky like duct tape. It's strong, tears cleanly, and doesn't leave much, if any, residue. Also, it tends not to harm surfaces it's used on. It's used by commercial photography studios, movie houses and theater groups. It's expensive. It's too thick and impermanent, though, for anything but emergency use on bellows.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What exactly is gaffer tape, and what is the difference between that and duct tape?
    We, non anglophones, sometimes get confused by your words...

Philippe
    Gaffer's tape is cloth tape (black, in my experience) used by "gaffers" (lighting tech's) to tape down cords and equipment on scene- either in the theater or in movie production. It has the great advantage of being removable from most surfaces without damage to the finish.

I have used it to fix bellows before but I would either use bookbinder's tape (thinner) or liquid electrician's tape (rubber) in the future. The gaffers tape is a bit thick and sort of moves around some in hot weather.

Oops... Peter beat me to it. So did Randy!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you all for the answers!
    So, gaffer tape is the 'good' one for temporarily work and the duct tape is like more permanent. But how to make the difference if they come both in black and cloth like? This is how one can find them in the do it you self market's, like the Pattex ore 3M brands.

Philippe
    "...If you can not stand the rustle of the leafs, then do not go in to the woods..."
    (freely translated quote by Guido Gezelle)

PS: English is only my third language, please do forgive me my sloppy grammar...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you all for the answers!
    So, gaffer tape is the 'good' one for temporarily work and the duct tape is like more permanent. But how to make the difference if they come both in black and cloth like? This is how one can find them in the do it you self market's, like the Pattex ore 3M brands.

Philippe
    Philippe,

If you want Gaffer's tape, you will need to go to an "industrial strength" photo equipment dealer, somebody who sells lighting equipment. It isn't going to be found in the "do it yourself" marketplace.

Don't even think of duct tape. Really, it is nasty stuff. Whiteymorange's suggestion of bookbinder's tape is better, a good acrylic black paint or E6000 would be good. I don't know about liquid electrician's tape, but it sounds sort of like E6000. That would probably be good, too. I wouldn't use 3m photo tape for anything permanent that will need to flex repeatedly. It lasts a long time if it's just stuck down, but I doubt it would hold up well if it was bent time after time, as it would be on a bellows.

Good luck.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Try a theaterical supply company for better prices and larger rolls than a photo store. Gaffer's tape comes in a rainbow of colors for color coding wires and cables. I mark lots of things like meters and loupes with bright yellow so I don't leave them behind on a job, it is easy to not see a small black object but yellow stands out. You can tell it from duct tape because it is a cloth tape, not a plastic tape with threads in it like duct tape. If you need somthing even stronger look for military "hundered mile an hour" or "six hundered mile an hour" tapes. It can be used to fix holes in aircraft durring combat.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I've used liquid electrician's tape on bellows pinholes and seams. It works great. Plus it stays pliable. Its been on a bellows of mine for two years now and still holding fine. Great stuff for bellows repair.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I'm with leicam5, above, who asked about it . . . Just what the heck is "gaffer's" tape. I understand that a gaffer is an electrician on a stage or movie set, and that they have some special tape that they use to work with stage lighting and such, but apparently you can't waltz into your friendly neighborhood hardware store and ask for it. All you will get is an odd look and "What the Hell is that?"

Somebody who has some of that tape send me your address, I'll mail you a couple of bucks, and you can send me about a foot of the stuff so I can at last see it for myself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by B&Jdude View Post
    I'm with leicam5, above, who asked about it . . . Just what the heck is "gaffer's" tape. I understand that a gaffer is an electrician on a stage or movie set, and that they have some special tape that they use to work with stage lighting and such, but apparently you can't waltz into your friendly neighborhood hardware store and ask for it. All you will get is an odd look and "What the Hell is that?"

Somebody who has some of that tape send me your address, I'll mail you a couple of bucks, and you can send me about a foot of the stuff so I can at last see it for myself.
    I'd bet you could order it through B&H.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin