Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,912   Posts: 1,584,692   Online: 671

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks, bowzart.

I did try to find it in the B&H catalogue, but their mere 2 page "index" for a 466 page tome makes it virtually impossible to find anything. I went to some theatrical supply websites that had it for sale, but I would have to spend anywhere from $50 to $80 to buy it, as I would have to buy a whole box of a dozen or so rolls (I doubt if I would use even one full roll during the remainder of my life).

Anyhoo, Peter De Smidt is sending me a sample piece so I will know what this stuff is that I am looking for. Also, I will call B&H in the phone (with the hope that I will be able to talk to a real human) and see if they have it available in single roll quantity.

EuGene Smith

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    I have some small holes to cover. Is gaffer tape good for this? I have been told that it is not a very light tight tape, but it looks like it to me.
    I'd recommend using some 'Liquid Electrical Tape' or some stuff called 'PlastiDip' (comes in many colors).

Fully extend the bellows and paint on the bad spots - MAKE SURE THE STUFF IS DRY BEFORE YOU COLLAPSE THE BELLOWS OR YOU'LL BE CUTTING THE BELLOWS FOLDS APART.

The newer the material, the thinner it will be - you'll probably need more than one coating.

Both, I believe, are a neoprene suspension (if memory serves me correctly, MEK is the solvent). If you go this route, make sure the solvent within doesn't do more damage than what you already have as MEK is pretty hot stuff. No problem with leather, but the naugy hides will probably be melted on contact as it's a plastic.

"Beer is proof that God wants us to be happy."

Benjamin Franklin

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Go to ebay and type in Gaffers Tape. You can order all you want from there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leicam5 View Post
    What exactly is gaffer tape, and what is the difference between that and duct tape?
    We, non anglophones, sometimes get confused by your words...

Philippe

First, "gaffer" is a term used for the person who manages the lights on a movie set. (TV and broadcast set too I suppose).

Gaffers tape is a strong fabric tape. It's primary advantage is that, unless left on for a long time, it does not leave any adhesive residue. I've seen it in black and in white 2 inch wide rolls.

It's typically about double the cost of good duct tape and 3-4 times the cost of cheap duct tape.

Here's more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaffer_tape

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would not use gaffers tape or duct tape on a bellows. The adhesive in gaffers tape over time dries out and becomes hard and crinkly and will start to separate from the tape while staying attached to your bellows. Ultimately it will ruin your bellows. If I were you I contact camera bellows company in the UK or a camera repair place and ask them about a better and more permanent solution.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Bostick & Sullivan have a bellows patching kit on their website. Haven't used it myself, but they seem to know what they are doing.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    Bostick & Sullivan have a bellows patching kit on their website. Haven't used it myself, but they seem to know what they are doing.

Jon
    There you go. They do know what they are doing. That's where I'd go. Thanks Jon, that's valuable information.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Apparently the product supplied by Bostick & Sullivan is a roof patching product called Elasto-seal. Normally comes in a huge can from the hardware store. I have to patch some holes in my Kodak 2d - I'll look into the E6000 product. I looks like Michael's craft stores carries it.

Jon
    Last edited by Jon Shiu; 07-26-2008 at 01:48 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Book binding tape. Flexible, archival (supposedly), designed not to crack or break over time. Probably will leave a sticky residue that may or may not be removed with a solvent. I believe it's available in cloth and linen.. I'm not talking about the clear stuff or paper tape used to repair pages, i'm talking about the stuff used to bind books and repair bindings. Pretty handy stuff, not sure just how different it is from gaffer's tape, except that it is probably thinner and comes in a lot of pretty colors.

Shooter
    Large Format
    E6k sounds good too, as well as plastidip and the roof sealing stuff. I'd go that route first, unless the bellows are torn and ripped up. In which case i'd probably tape away. I've always heard of using acrylic black paint mixed with elmer's white glue.. Lots of different ways to do the same thing.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin