Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,813   Posts: 1,581,578   Online: 917

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The main difference between duct tape and gaffers tape is that gaffer's tape doesnt leave a residue (or so i'm told)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use 3M polyester tape type 850 black. This tape is so thin, 0.05mm, that it does not bulk up the bellows even if you covered the whole thing. The tape is very flexible so it can be used to patch pinholes in the corners and then the bellows can be re-pleated easily. Best of all the adhesive is strong, doesn't bleed, doesn't creep, and never goes gooey.

The downside? It is an $$$ expensive roll of tape.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leicam5 View Post
    What exactly is gaffer tape
    http://www.filmtools.com/adhesivetapes.html

Warning - clicking on link may cause attack of GAS.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Gaffers tape is expensive, but it takes me years to go through a roll. I wind some on to a 120 roll film spool and keep it in my camera bag, very handy to have. Can be removed from most surfaces without leaving residue. I just bought a 5x7 Kodak D2, I have to check the bellows for light leaks. I'm inclined to try the E-6000 for any pinholes. If I had a tear to repair I wouldn't hesitate to use gaffers tape.

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is an older thread but I'll put in my 2 cents. Black bookbinders tape works very well on most any type of bellows. We not only used it to bind books but to repair holes/tears in the bellows of the big process cameras. Once stuck it never comes off and remains very pliable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd be careful with gaffer tape. I've used it for temporary fixes (like attaching lights to whatever is available when there's no room for stands), and I've noticed that if you leave it on for a short while, no more than a week or two, it leaves no residue. But if you leave it on for several months, it does -- thick, sticky goo that's very hard to remove.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    These people sell black liquid neoprene rubber in a 4-oz brush-on can. I've ordered some for bellows pinholes, but haven't tried it yet. It's actually manufactured by the Plastidip people and re-labeled by these dive shop folks as "Trident Neo Coat" (found that out by reading the MSDS sheets). Plastidip sells the same product but calls it "Liquid Tape". It even comes in a spray can (from Plastidip). Be careful about ordering liquid tapes and such, many are just a plastic vice rubber compound and won't be as flexible or last as long. This stuff is supposedly liquid neoprene rubber.
    http://www.dolphinscuba.com/ProductD...LP55&click=287

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin