Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,054   Online: 857

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Good bellows tape

I have some small holes to cover. Is gaffer tape good for this? I have been told that it is not a very light tight tape, but it looks like it to me.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    I have some small holes to cover. Is gaffer tape good for this? I have been told that it is not a very light tight tape, but it looks like it to me.
    I'd be very leery about it. Adhesives turn to gummygooslime after awhile, even if it is light tight. I would suggest getting a tube of E6000, which is made by eclectic products in Eugene, OR and comes in black (also clear, but who needs that?). I use it to fix everything photographic. I use it for camera building projects, too.

If the holes aren't small, though, it wouldn't work, although I think you could glue some black stuff on with it. Much better than tape.

Just a tiny bit of E6000 applied by the end of a toothpick ought to do it. It is somewhat flexible; kind of a rubber stuff, although I suppose it's not real rubber. I use it to fix the Patterson developing tanks when the students break them. After they are fixed, they are better than new because the E6000 is resilient; the tanks bounce better when dropped.

Oh yes (added) it is not going to be in MOST hardware stores but some have it. If you have trouble finding it, email eclectic and they'll tell you who has it in your region.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    E-6000 could replace gaffer tape !

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Gaffer's tape is excellent. Put down a thin layer of contact cement before applying the gaffer's tape. It will provide for an excellent bond but also one that is very pliable.

Don't use duct tape. Use gaffer's tape. It's a very expensive tape.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm trying to get more people to use E6000 so they will keep making it. I used to use Duro Liquid Rubber, which disappeared. For some time there didn't seem to be anything that would work until I discovered E6k.

Sure, gaffer tape is great. I've been using it since 1969 (as seldom as possible due to the expense). Yes, it is vastly superior to duct tape; not the same thing at all despite superficial appearances. It is so expensive that I avoid buying it whenever possible but if you need to hang lights (which is what it is made for) nothing else will do. Do you want to pay for a whole roll just to get enough for a few pieces, then have these rags attached to your bellows!? Bellows usually develop pinholes on the corners of the folds where you'd have to make origami things to do the job. What a mess, folding it on corner! What is it going to do to the way the bellows compress when you fold it up?

I'm just being difficult. I'm like that. But anyway, I really wouldn't use gaffer tape on my bellows. Maybe it's just me.

L.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What exactly is gaffer tape, and what is the difference between that and duct tape?
    We, non anglophones, sometimes get confused by your words...

Philippe
    "...If you can not stand the rustle of the leafs, then do not go in to the woods..."
    (freely translated quote by Guido Gezelle)

PS: English is only my third language, please do forgive me my sloppy grammar...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't worry. I have no intention of using duct tape for anything ever. It is the most miserable tape. I have done all sorts of stuff with gaffer tape, however, and it is not that expensive. I think $30 worth of various sizes has lasted me almost three years, and I'm not about to run out any time soon. It has never got gummy or flappy on me.

These are holes starting to form on all the outside corners of a bellows that was described as "in like new condition". Still trying to decide whether it can be a quick and easy fix, or if I should complain to the seller. I want to keep the camera, so complaining would pretty much be pointless.

I will look into E-6000.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I found some very thin strong and light-tight black material in a haberdashers, it's used for repairing tears in clothes & has a very strong self adhesive backing.

I had some bellows that were badly damaged and it was very easy to patch the holes from the inside of the bellows then used a black flexible acrylic paint on the outside. E-6000 sounds like it would work the same.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    For pinholes and small tears I use artists black acrylic paint. I build up layers as needed. The paint stay elastic and doesn't impact the folding of the bellows.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    There is a tape called Photographers Tape. It is made by 3m and is black and completely opaque. It is a paper tape like masking tape, but a better adhesive. I have successfully used this tape for years to cover light leaks. While probably not as permanent as a cloth tape, it holds up well for me.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin