Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,316   Posts: 1,536,731   Online: 1033

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    DKT

It could just be the camera back worn down from use. There's an old Kodak studio camera in our collection like this...it's pretty obvious, there are grooves under the spring back from holders being slid in & out from years of use. I've never seen anything like it--the camera was in use in a portrait studio for almost 50 yrs. They shot thousands of negatives on it and literlly wore it out. It wouldn't take much for a holder not to sit right though...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well I'm going to get a couple new holders to see if its just the wooden Kodak ones that don't fit right. There is no obvious warpage on the camera back where the holder would sit, but then the leak isn't profound either...just apparent. When I was doing the test with the flashlight and hit the right spot, a little light would show through. Then when I adjusted the holder and did the light test again, there was no leak. So I'm pretty sure its dependent on how it's sitting in there. Whethere thats due to the brand or holder or slight warpage in the camera back, I don't know. Time and further tests will tell.
    RL Foley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How is the spring tesion on the back? From what you describe it may be a little low.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The spring is actually good...but I imagine I can try to make it tighter. The holder seems to be pushed fairly well against the back of the camera when its in there.
    RL Foley

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Have you checked the film holders to make sure they are not warpped? I have seen lots of the old wooden ones that are not square anymore. That will cause the holder not to sit snuggly into the slot on the back of the camera.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, too tight and you'll warp the camera putting film in.
    Maybe it's some kind of subtle wear on the back where the film seats allowing the slide to wallow a bit around the proper position. I couldn't really say much without a close look at the camera myself. Have you held a steel rule across the surfaces to check for flatness or some other technique that may apply? If the channel the darkslide goes into has the sides worn away they might possibly be shimmed back to the proper shape.
    Hope you can get it fixed soon, I'm familiar with that frustration with balky gear.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I havn't tried putting a straight edge up to it yet, but I'll do that once I get home. I really like this camera, and it may soon become my favorite if I can get these dag on light leaks taken care of.
    RL Foley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Shot four negs today using two of the holders i had problems with, except this time i kept the darkcloth over the camera back when I pulled the slide out and took the picture....no leaks!

I'll still have to investigate what the problem was and fix it for good, but until then, this is an adequate solution.
    RL Foley

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin