Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,435   Online: 1067

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Wollensak Raptar Lens

Just picked up a mint Wollensak 8.25 inch 210 mm f/6.3 Raptar barrel lens off BBay for $15. Anyone use one or know of their quality? Nice hefty lens.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Such the deal. Hefty is good. Enjoy the image making.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Large Format
    Variable. I have a few Wollensaks, including the 210 you have. A good copy is a very nice lens. Not equal to a modern lens wide open, but darn close at F/16. Unfortunately there are also bad copies of Wollys, so do a quick test. Great price!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Even the poorest Wollensak Raptar will deliver excellent images ! Why would anyone even compare the Raptar to modern lenses? The Raptar has it's own look and delivers quality negatives from crisp and sharp to near soft focus.
    Give it a fair trial, I 'll bet you like it! Over the past 55 years or so, I have owned many Raptars and have found them
    to be very good glass, and make wonderful images. I still have a bunch of them!

Charlie........................................... .........

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    As Charlie says there once was a time not that long ago when the Raptar's were higher priced than the Schneiders. That 6.3 is a dialyt type like an Artar. They were a design that waited for coatings to really get good. I'll bet you'll be surprised at how nice that old lens is, and $15 bucks is good bragging rights these days.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Charlie,
    This is all personal opinion..... I own 5 Wollensak lenses. 3 were meant to be "sharp" lenses and 2 were built to be "soft focus". I use and love all of them. But, for my tastes, the Raptar type lenses near wide open are not soft or different enough to be valuable. They are just inferior to a modern lens.

If I want "pretty softness" at F/8 or F/11 I'll shoot with my Wollensak Veritar or Verito or my more modern Fuji soft lens.

At F/16 and above I love the Raptars. That makes Raptars a great deal! Just my tastes and opinion, we'll both enjoy our Wollies and I suspect that Harry will enjoy his.

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    what a steal!

happy shooting!

john
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Hollis View Post
    Just picked up a mint Wollensak 8.25 inch 210 mm f/6.3 Raptar barrel lens off BBay for $15.
    Mine is a 210mm f6.8 Graphic Raptar Wide Field in a barrel -- don't know how it compares with yours (except for mine costing over ten times as much...LOL!) Covers 8x10 with movement, though I have not twisted the bellows with it yet. Nice small lens.

Nice sharp negs so far (I have only used it closed down) Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks all.
    I'm using it for wet-plate at the moment It is a barrel lens.
    Just shot some glass negs. and the salt prints are looking good.
    Just waiting for a new/old speed graphic, I'll try it on that with some 'modern' materials..

I like the other Wollensak lenses that I have, Velostigmat, etc. they are nice lenses.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Charles...

I am a newbie in Wollensak cine lenses and I need some expert opinion from you.
    Is WOLLENSAK 2 INCH (50mm) f/1.5 CINE RAPTAR a C or D mount and any one have ever tried it on a micro 4/3 digital ?
    What I find out is these old lenses surpasses modern lenses in term of rendering, artistic look & mostly the light-weightness.

I used Sinar F1 4x5" in the 90s but switch to digital especially when no single lab provides development for E6 &even C41 now.

Antony

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin