Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,098   Online: 1001

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am considering three lenses for 5x4 landscapes which are available to me 2nd hand at the moment:

Schneider 72XL
    Schneider SA 65 5.6
    Rodenstock Grandagon 65 4.5

I am aware of the huge coverage (and size) of the 72XL and would like to hear from anyone who can compare these lenses from actual experience. Essentially I am looking for the very best optical performance. Is there an optical pecking order, visible on the print?

I am leaning towards the 72XL for the coverage tho it is more than I need, but am concerned that the size is a bit bit for backpacking, or the 65 Grandagon for its small size and fast aperture.

The Schneider 65 is the cheapest however...

I'm sure I would be happy either way, but any help would be appreciated.

Tom S

Images
    I have only the 72xl. It is a wonderful lens. I use it on 57 mostly, where it is extremely wide. Altho the front element is large, the lens is not especially heavy. For filters, I use 4 inch gels in cardboard frames with a little slide on adapter that I made from foam core. I have a 58 SA that I use on 45, and it too is very sharp and wide.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a schnieder 65 and I'm quite pleased with it for backpacking and it's pretty darn sharp. I just had to learn to move everything to the front of the camera bed so the front of the bed didn't show in the picture.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi
    i have been using a 65 SA for about a month shooting architectural subjects ( inside and out ) as well as archaeological sort of stuff ( remnants ) i wasn't sure how i was going to like it, but now, it has replaced the 90mm SA
    great lens, don't know how i lived without it for so long ...
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin