Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,515   Posts: 1,572,085   Online: 1183

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format

B/W instant materials

A couple months ago I received a survey request from Ilford (Harman Technology) regarding their market research on the possibility of taking over production of Polaroids B/W instant imaging products, inparticular Type 55 positive/negative emulsion was of importance. After many weeks I received an email update from Jane Crossen at Harman which outlined their decison and explanation on a possible instant film rebirth (Polaroid technology).

Their verbatim explanation follows:

Harman has issued the following statement:

"HARMAN technology Limited, through its monochrome brand ILFORD PHOTO, and Polaroid Worldwide have been in discussions about the possibility of ILFORD taking on production of Polaroid’s black and white professional instant sheet film. Despite the best efforts of both parties involved they have determined that there is not a commercially viable way forward.

HARMAN’s Chairman, Howard Hopwood said: “The processes involved in the manufacture and assembly of professional instant sheet film products are very demanding and it would require substantial investment to re-establish them at HARMAN technology’s site in Cheshire, England. When compared with current and projected sales for the products, it was clear that such an investment could not be justified”

Howard Hopwood continues: “While we had hoped to work together on continuing the production of instant sheet film, it is cost prohibitive to meet the declining demand. As a company we are saddened that such an inspirational form of expression will disappear, but we will always remain staunchly committed to the long-term future of monochrome photography in all its facets and we will continue to do everything we can to support it.”

For more information on ILFORD PHOTO, visit: www.ilfordphoto.com

For more information on HARMAN technology, visit: www.harmantechnology.com

If you would like to go on our mailing list for information on future products and promotions please reply back to this email. Your details will NOT be passed on to a third party.

Again, many thanks for your comments and views and for taking the time to respond."

Thats tatement pretty much wraps up the instant B/W film future aside from what Fuji makes available. I strongly suggest that anyone with interest in B/W instant imaging products make certain that your voices are heard loud and clear by Harman, Ilford and Fuji. Take the time to contact them in a couteous and businesslike manner, fully explaining your reasons why you want these products to be made available and also outline what degree of consumption they could expect from you. It is never too late, companies do change their minds. Unless they hear from you they can only speculate and they will only do that on the side of caution with the financial bottom line in mind. They are in business for money, not photography. If you want the products, contact them and explain yourself.

I too want these products. I spent a lot of time writing and making my case but I am only one tiny insignificant voice. I have a beautiful brand new Polaroid Pro back (the digital one after the 545i), it has seen very little use because of the dwindling supply of instant sheet material. It was expensive and it's a shame to just see it sit in the case. Let your positions be heard by the B/W film manufacturers.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks for that post John.
    I wrote to both Ilford and Fuji earlier today in just that fashion.
    I imagine I might get a similar response, but at least it's another drop in the bucket.
    I've also spent a little time on this site:
    http://www.savepolaroid.com/
    and went through all the different options they had available - how much progress this group is making is hard to determine, but I suppose every little effort helps.
    John Molligo
    jmolligo@gmail.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jmolligo View Post
    Thanks everyone for the information. At least I can use it for readyloads.
    Although it's probably not especially worthwhile - I suppose I'll send a letter off to Ilford and Fuji to see if they would ever consider picking up on films like 54 and etc. Maybe the more they hear about it, the more they might want to consider it (although Fuji makes their own holder and I doubt they'd want to hinder sales on that).
    And now Kodak has announced the demise of Readyload, too, so the Polaroid 545 holder becomes almost useless.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm Corn fuze ed.
    So, I can use individual sheets of 4x5 Fuji stuff in my Polaroid 545i. I put it in at the "load" position, pull the "dark slide"; shoot. Put the "dark slide" back. Just like I used to do with Type 58. BUT, instead of putting the 5451 to the P position, as I did with self-processing film, I just take the film out, take it to the dark room, and soup it? Do I have that correct?
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    I'm Corn fuze ed.
    So, I can use individual sheets of 4x5 Fuji stuff in my Polaroid 545i. I put it in at the "load" position, pull the "dark slide"; shoot. Put the "dark slide" back. Just like I used to do with Type 58. BUT, instead of putting the 5451 to the P position, as I did with self-processing film, I just take the film out, take it to the dark room, and soup it? Do I have that correct?
    As I understand that, you can do this with Fuji Quickload films and a 545 or 545i. You can't do it with any Fuji Instant films in current production.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    As I understand that, you can do this with Fuji Quickload films and a 545 or 545i. You can't do it with any Fuji Instant films in current production.
    Ahh, good. Then I could use the Fuji Across Quickload film, a sheet at a time in my Polaroid 545i.
    For the Fuji instant 4x5 film, I have a Fuji holder which takes the ten packs--trouble is, it won't fit my 4x5 back on my Ansco view camera. I have to go to my Crown Graphic to use the self-developing Fuji 4x5 films.
    Life sure can be complicated.....
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I started using my i545 in August with Fuji Acros without any difficulties. In the next two weeks, I'll be trying out T-Max 100 readyloads. I kept my aperture between f22 and f64 to make up for the lack of a pressure plate.
    "Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
    CAPT. John Parker, Massachusetts Militia. 19APR1775

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Can you share your results Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NavyMoose View Post
    I started using my i545 in August with Fuji Acros without any difficulties. In the next two weeks, I'll be trying out T-Max 100 readyloads. I kept my aperture between f22 and f64 to make up for the lack of a pressure plate.
    Hi NavyMoose I am really interested to see if you were able to test the T-max 100 also if you would not mind sharing the experience. I just came across a 545 and wouldn't mind using myself.

Regards

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    sschneider68:

Readyloads and Fuji Quickloads have been discontinued just in case you didn't know.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin