Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,847   Posts: 1,582,770   Online: 879

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Images
    "but hiking with an extra dozen 7x11 film holders has it's logistical problems"

Do you have a dog, or maybe you could become a Den Mother to some Cub Scouts? Sherpas come in all shapes and sizes.
    "Hey, I don't tell you how to tell me what to do, so don't tell me how to do what you tell me to do!"-Bender Bending Rodriguez

Robert.... I like the way you think! That is a good solution.

Veriwide...... I have 'problems' with dogs.... cheers Annie.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You would need two only cut two darkslides like Robert is talking about. The first is cut out for the one third on the right as you face the back of the camera. You expose that third first. Then you have marked on the darkslide how far it has to be pulled to uncover the left third. now the slide is covering the first exposure and middle section of film. After you make the far left exposure you put in the dark slide with the center cut out and expose the middle section. Then the full darkslide goes back

Like Robert said, this way you could use different emulsions in each holder.

you could also make a small jig to cut the film in the dark with a razor knife. Just need to use an oversize straight edge to hold the film down and keep fingers away from the blade and a couple pieces of plasitc to form a corner to align the fim.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    Or, if you have extra dark slides, cut them up so that they just allow exposure on one side of the film. Bender photographic has a cut up dark slide that allows 2 4x10 exposures on a single 8x10 sheet, so you could use the same idea. Cut one of your dark slides so that the image is 3 1/4x11 and just reverse it for each picture.
    I fail to see, at least on my holders and darkslides, how reversing a slide that has a spot cut would accomplish anything unless you were working to separate the vertical aspect. That would make a 3 1/4 by 11 image (roughly). That may work if the slide doesn't have a handle on it so that it could be switched end for end (in the case of dividing the horizontal aspect).

If consistancy of exposure is critical, then a single sheet of film would seem to work the best. If you want to work with different types of film have one holder with color and the other with black and white. Or different films in the same holder. That may be one way to have this work.

If it were me, and I were committed to this course of action, I would gather a piece of appropriate guage tempered aluminum and have it cut to the dimension of a darkslide. I would then have appropriate size openings cut in the aluminum that would allow masking of the film sheet. I would then have the aluminum anodized black to reduce the possibility of flare.

But that seems like an awful lot of effort and expense for the same effect that could be accomplished by shooting two sheets of film (in the case of a black and white-color mixture) or one sheet of film otherwise. I would think that working on this at the print level is the place to do it.

I don't think that an extra holder is that much extra effort at least on that size of format. It may be if I were considering my 12X20 but not my 8X10.
    I imagine that 7X11 holders are not any heavier then 8X10. (77 square inches of film versus 80)
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    A picture is worth a thousand words.

http://www.benderphoto.com/4x10pa.htm

I agree one extra holder will not make a difference! Even though each triptych panel requires a different treatment in the field, with various darkslide masks, 3 holders and my rototrimer... 6 triptychs!! Actually varying the dark slide masks allows for many more interesting configurations I had not considered. This is great...... one does not have to be clever one just needs to associate with clever people... Thanks Apuggers!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    A picture is worth a thousand words.

http://www.benderphoto.com/4x10pa.htm
    Jorge,

That is what I was alluding to. The 7X11 format would by it's aspect ratio normally be considered a panoramic format. Just as your and my 12X20 format. All of the panoramic images that I have seen are presented horizontally. Maybe you have seen some that I haven't and if you have I would appreciate knowing about them. In fact the aspect ratio of the 7X11 is is very near the 12X20. Typically a diptych or triptych would be used on a horizontal (panoramic) image and it would be used to separate the long dimension rather then the short dimension (at least all that I have seen have been presented that way). I don't know of many subjects shot in a banquet format that would benefit from further dividing the minor aspect (short dimension).

Do you make many images with your 12X20 in which the long dimension is in a vertical orientation?
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    After reading all this I'm still confused as to the actual use. Isn't a triptych or diptych is a series of 3 or 2 photos, usually related in some way? I could understand (I think) doing all this if you were aiming to print the whole neg (either contact or enlarged) as is, but when different emulsions (& colour and B&W) are mentioned, what are the benifits? (I can see the benefit of the two panoramic images placed on one piece of film). Since your reducing the amount of negative your using, why not use a smaller camera (interchangable back MF)? unless the need for movements is mandatory (which probably would be to get the image onto the bit of the film you're aiming for anyway)

Pless enlighten me (I won't be able to sleep otherwise!!!)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Nige,
    You are a man after my own questions...But then "who knows what lurks in the hearts of man?"...from that old radio show "The Shadow"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Annie... ohhh Annie... where are you

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin