Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,505   Posts: 1,543,485   Online: 1027

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

I am interested in adapting a 7x11 wooden film holder to accept cut sheet film so that I can shoot triptychs & diptychs. Using one sheet of film and cutting it down after exposure and development is not really an option as there will be variations of exposure etc. within the various elements. Alignment is important so just popping the sheets in with double sided tape may be too hit-or-miss. I would appreciate any suggestions for a method of doing this type of holder hack and any sources for small parts that may be necessary.

Cheers Annie.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Annie,
    I am not sure that I understand your reasoning. Would you please explain how three separate sheets of film exposed at the same time, in this modified film holder you propose, would expose differently then one sheet of film exposed at that same time?

Perhaps if I understood the basis of your reasoning I might be able to more adequately respond to your request.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Donald.... It is probably my 'lack of reasoning' that is confusing you, sorry! Basically I was thinking for a triptych I would like to place three sheets of film in the holder and use different approaches on each sheet. Someone on the other forum has since suggested that I use various dark slide masks to achieve that effect.... That approach may bring me closer to what I want to achieve.... However.. I still need a way to place various films in the holder if I am using a combination of colour and b&w.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Images
    I know Burke and James made backs for 2, 3, and 4 up on a sheet of 5x7, and maybe in other sizes. The film holder was masked in the back and moved into the various positions. Is that what you're after? If so you might find and study one of those.
    "Hey, I don't tell you how to tell me what to do, so don't tell me how to do what you tell me to do!"-Bender Bending Rodriguez

Thanks for the suggestions! I will be using different film types for the composite.

Why not just use three holders? From the sound of it you're going to expose each sheet on it's own so I don't see what you gain from using one holder.

Robert,
    Close to home that might be a solution... but hiking with an extra dozen 7x11 film holders has it's logistical problems not to mention the cost of nearly $3000 for additional holders to just get 4 composite shots in the field.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Or, if you have extra dark slides, cut them up so that they just allow exposure on one side of the film. Bender photographic has a cut up dark slide that allows 2 4x10 exposures on a single 8x10 sheet, so you could use the same idea. Cut one of your dark slides so that the image is 3 1/4x11 and just reverse it for each picture.

If you combine the ideas. Use one holder per film type. Use a modified darkslide. I think you could get three shots per sheet of film. Instead of trying to get multiple types of film into each holder you'll be getting multiple images. The downside is you risk ruining the first image when you do the second.

The way I see it you'll need three extra darkslides. First one would be cut short by a 1/3. The second would have hole in the middle. The third would have a hole near end that slides into the film holder. You'd need to leave a margin.

The only other thing I guess would be reloading in the field.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin