Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,713   Posts: 1,483,017   Online: 669

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Field Camera

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have been looking at a few field cameras and wondered if anyone had any experience or opinions on the Ebony line of cameras. I'm looking at a used one.
    Brian McDowell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Most people who have them seem to like them. For reviews try largeformatphotography.info, both in the "camera reviews" section and the "Q&A Forum."
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    One of my photo buddies uses an Ebony and it sure is a nice machine. Very well made and the craftsmanship is obvious.

However I would not spend the kind of money they want for one new. If you can get a good price on a used one go for it.

My Wista knock-off by Toko servers me fine and cost me a fraction of the Ebony.

Here is a link to the Wista camera that looks just like mine.
    http://www.wista.co.jp/e_wista/e_sho...era/e_s2_5.htm
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks to everyone for the quick replies. I checked out the largeformatphotography website and found more of the information I was looking for. I'll let you know how things work out.
    Brian McDowell

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Geez, Eric, what about your *other* buddy? :-D

I have a Gandolfi Variant Level 3, and it's also a very good camera. Extensive movements, great bellows extension make this a fine camera. However, be sure to check out my other thread, soon to be created, about light leaks....
    Cheers!

-klm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ebony cameras are one of the best wooden field cameras made. They have only two drawbacks, price and weight (in the ebony wood models, mahoghany cameras have typical weights). If you can stand these, you will have no other complaints.

Thanks!

Steve

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ebony cameras are good but vv pricey- at the moment I've narrowed it down to the Wisner Trad or the Canham JMC810 (the latter is much lighter). A Phillips would be nice but unavailable in UK. So it's probably the JMC for me.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

I tried out the Canham at one of my favorite camera stores and was very impressed. the limited range of movements (the essentials are there!) on the rear standard really make the camera much more rigid than his wood camera. and it seems fairly lightweight. pretty much a take it anywhere view camera. Go for it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    After looking at a this model again I'm not sure that it has the features that I'm after, so I've decided to wait and do a little more research. My thanks to everyone for their help.
    Brian McDowell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin