Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,172   Online: 730

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Coating Lenses

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have also had a Summicron front element recoated by Arax.
    Like others said, their service was impeccable - the lens came back coated better than when it left the Leitz factory back in 50-ies... i.e. multi-coated!

Alas, Arax does not offer such service any more.

The info about Longman Optical is a very welcome news indeed!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Balham Optical in London also re-coat lenses but are much more expensive.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    There is a company called Superflat that recoats lenses for the cine industry, but as I recall, you have to disassemble the lens and send them the elements.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Just a personal opinion, but I feel the beauty of the Eurynar is the fact that it is not coated
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You may be right Mark, but I'll test it first. I've been shooting with an uncoated Tessar and want a slight increase in quality, the Eurynar is far easier to get coated should then give a contrast closer to a modern lens, also far less prone to flare.

I also have another uncoated Rodenstock 135mm lens so that leaves me options for that 30's rounded tone look.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Has anyone ever thought of contacting JML Optics? They've made good lenses themselves so seems like a quality place to try
    I believe I read somewhere on their site their founder was an old Ilex guy

They have a coatings section and it appears to say MgF2 coating for a smaller diameter lens would be in the $25 per surface range
    but I could be misreading that totally

http://www.jmloptical.com/level2/ind...tive_info.aspx

You can see their setup and process on a lens making Youtube video

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi !
    Seing this, and having tried to have re-coated a front lens damaged on cleaning, I thought it could be of some help.
    Alas, an optic teacher I know said to me "Single layer MgF2 coating ? It is a circa 1935 technique. Not so good by today standard."
    So, it could be good for an uncoated lens, but do not expect tremendeous results.... if I understand what this guy said to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Georges, single layer coating can be excellent, modern methods have improved significantly since their first invention and early techniques.

Sure it's not going to be as good as Multi-coating on a modern lens but equally many companies say that multi-coating isn't particularly beneficial to older pre-war lenses anyway and doesn't give the improvements you expect and can take the edge of sharpness etc, and single coating is sufficient.

Ian

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    The difference between single- and multicoated lenses with six or eight surfaces is hardly noticable. Modern single coating can reduce the internal lens reflections by 90% or more.

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm waiting for another Eurynar 4,5/13,5cm. Hopefully it's in better condition than the one I already have ("cleaning marks"). The Eurynar is easy to take apart, which is great if I decide to have the elements coated.

I'm also waiting for a Goerz Dogmar 6,3/135mm It should be good, as it is Goerz improved version of the Celor. Still a dialyt, but not as symmetric as the Celor.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin