Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,550   Posts: 1,573,077   Online: 801

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Coating Lenses

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Longman Optical came back with an estimate and wow you're right Mick, the cost of coating is $180 AUS ($142 USD - £79 roughly) that's for all 8 surfaces.
    I got this estimate:
    The best way to answer this is to send elements and I will quote.....but
    because you are a fair distance away, on averages the cost is app. $40 each
    surface + postage.
    I must also mention that the coating is a single layer MgF2 coating and not
    multi-coated.
    That's $320.

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Update: $200 for just cleaning and coating four elements.

Shooter
    Large Format
    JPD,

"Update: $200 for just cleaning and coating four elements."

What diameter?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JPD View Post
    I got this estimate:

That's $320.
    As it happens I have some experience with using and sourcing coated camera optics. A few observations: you get what you pay for to some extent, re-coating a camera lens involves a certain amount of labour then some time on fairly expensive equipment (vacuum coater) operated by a skilled (you hope) technician. Parts have to be cleaned rigourously before cleaning and probably inspected than packed afterwards. It all costs money.
    Coating type: MgF may be fine for the inner surfaces that are not normally able to be touched but for the first surface you have to consider the coating durability. However good it is optically if it wipes off the first time you try and clean it that is no good. So ask any potential supplier if they are applying a hard coating and if so how they define "hard". I have definitely seen very soft MgF coatings - they will be partly removed by just one pass with a paper wipe.
    There is really no optical downside to coating, it wll not affect sharpness as someone implied above - although disassembling the lens to coat and reassembling slightly off obviously could.

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by phfitz View Post
    JPD,

"Update: $200 for just cleaning and coating four elements."

What diameter?
    33mm or so.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveOttawa View Post
    There is really no optical downside to coating, it wll not affect sharpness as someone implied above - although disassembling the lens to coat and reassembling slightly off obviously could.
    I think it was Arax who stated on his site that Multi-coating some older lenses could actually be counter-productive, and that single coating was often a far better option. He no longer offers a coating service unfortunately.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Edmund optics sells lens elements that you can buy coated or uncoated, priced as follows for a 100mm fl/30mm dia/PCX:

$30.40 no coating
    $33.20 MgF coating
    $34.70 "Vis 0" 0.4% coating

Overlooking they are charging $30 for a $3 lens, coating seems to be around $2/surface.

An on-line discount eyeglass firm charges $6.95 for AR/no scratch coating, again around $2/surface.
    Admittedly, a High Street optician will soak you for $80 for the same service.

Coating pricing is _very_ screwy.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Being rather more realistic I remembered coming across someone who had his old lens coated (he may have done it himself) at an opticians lab, using the coating process used for spectacles (glasses).

Has anyone tried this. A lens like the Eurynar would be ideal as the elements aren't cemented, and they suffer badly from low contrast due to this.

Is there a tame optical technician on APUG ?

Ian[/QUOTE]

I had an old 135mm coated at a 1 hour lab 5 or 6 years ago, I had an antiglare and UV coating applied, cost $45, but only the front element was coated, on both sides, I think they dipped the lens, newer method uses a vacume chamber. It seems to work well enough, impoved contast. The Shop I used HandiLab here in Phoenix has gone under, I have an old 210mm lens that needs to recoated, but the last shop I asked said that they can only coat plastic lens, the manger said he would coat it at my risk. I havent had time to follow up.

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveOttawa View Post
    ... So ask any potential supplier if they are applying a hard coating and if so how they define "hard". ...
    Good suggestion. I have emailed and asked them about the hardness of the coatings. I do, however, believe they are hard. It's not the late 1930's anymore.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JPD View Post
    Good suggestion. I have emailed and asked them about the hardness of the coatings. I do, however, believe they are hard. It's not the late 1930's anymore.
    Well, I have received optics for a camera lens made & coated within the last year where the AR just wiped off. Hard coating was not specified on the drawings, for subsequent orders it was...
    If you use a lab that coats eyeglasses it is a safe bet it will be hard coat though.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin