Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,877   Online: 933

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Coating Lenses

Shooter
    Large Format
    If only one of the exposed surfaces of a cemented group needs coating, can the painted edges and other surface be masked off, or does the whole thing need to be stripped down for the process?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by j_landecker View Post
    If only one of the exposed surfaces of a cemented group needs coating, can the painted edges and other surface be masked off, or does the whole thing need to be stripped down for the process?
    The answer is probably yes, you can coat the cemented group but it will depend on the lab, questions like: 1) how hot do they expect the part to get in the chamber 2) are they happy to put a part with unknown paint etc on in the chamber given that then there is a chance of offgassing contaminating the whole batch. In short its worth asking but there is a chance they will say no.

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I got this answer from Longman: "Hi, Okay this is were it may come to a stop, the coatings are quite soft, mainly used for internal elements, hard coating we cannot perform and if we could would be more expensive."

Thanks DaveOttawa for the tip to ask them! It saves me/us both trouble and money.

I guess coating just the inner surfaces could be ok. The two negative elements and the inner surfaces of the front and rear elements. It would be cheaper, but still reduce the internal reflections a lot. Hmmm...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is another option, have the lens fully coated and then just fit a multi-coated filter so that the front element surface is protected.

At the moment I've put having my Eurynar coated on hold, it's a 150mm and in a larger Compur shutter than a 136mm or 150mm Tessar so it won't fit my Patent Etui.

Ian

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    There is another option, have the lens fully coated and then just fit a multi-coated filter so that the front element surface is protected.

At the moment I've put having my Eurynar coated on hold, it's a 150mm and in a larger Compur shutter than a 136mm or 150mm Tessar so it won't fit my Patent Etui.
    Hm, I prefer to always use a light yellow filter anyway... Hmmm... I have time to think about it, because the coating will have to wait until after Christmas.

Ah, I read about your Patent Etui. What size is the hole for the shutter? It would be good to know, since I have planned to get a Patent Etui 9x12. I have five, I think, of the 6,5x9 version.

I've bought a 1915/16 Dogmar 6,3/135 and have taken test shots, but not developed the sheets yet. Too bad the Dogmar can't be dissassembeled compleatly for coating as the Eurynar.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 9x12 Patent Etui's take a Compur/Copal 1 shutter, the hole is the same for the Dial-set or Rim-set shutter.

Ian

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    The 9x12 Patent Etui's take a Compur/Copal 1 shutter, the hole is the same for the Dial-set or Rim-set shutter.
    39mm? What did your Eurynar come with? A Compur 2, or a non standardized mount thread?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Eurynar's in an Ibsor shutter, which is almost identical to an early prontor press, I don't know the size and can't check at the moment as it's in the UK. However it's considerably larger than the Compur 1 and a non standard thread.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JPD View Post
    ..It's not the late 1930's anymore.
    Have you been checking the financial news - actually it IS the late 1930s

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Not sure if it's been mentioned, but Focal Point in Colorado does re-coating. Have sent an old lens off there for re-coating... Have heard good things.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin