Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,753   Posts: 1,483,894   Online: 1236

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ole, does the Dial-set Compur accept the lens cells from a similar Rims-set Compur, assuming same focal length/speed Tessar etc ?

Ian

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Zeiss, Schneider and Voigtländer seem to have agreed on the standard shutter sizes much earlier than anyone else.

A modern Macro-Nikkor 120mm lens fits perfectly well in the dial-set Compur which normally holdes a 120mm f:4.5 Heliar from 1929.

So since the original is a Tessar, my bet is that the shutter is 100% compatible with modern lenses.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Ole, I know my 210 MC Symmar bought from JDC fits my 1932 Compur

What fazes me is my 1919-20 165mm Tessar fits a smaller shutter, but the who can understand the German mind

Ian

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ah - but 165mm Tessars often came in an early abandoned (insert comma as appropriate - I mean both) version of the infamous #2.
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    At least these are German lenses Ole, or they'd come in an enormous Betax or Illex 3, and weigh a ton

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you need movements? Have you considered the common 135s and 127s that came on Graflexes for many years? They are nice and small and light, and very "thin". They are also cheaper than dirt. I imagine with how long they were made, that there were some that were sufficiently coated. I do not know whether it is coated or not, but I do know that my 1954 Ektar 127mm has taken beautiful and contrasty color prints. The drawback, of course, is no movements (unless you focus on something quite close).
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The camera has no movements, the 1932 Tessar taht came with my Graphic fits, but is not sharp enough and also uncoated. The later Jena Tessars changed to aluminium alloy mounts and are slightly higher, although the elements are the same.

2f/2f - an Ektarmay be fine, and they are coated by the 50's "ricksplace" suggested an Ektar but didn't respond when I asked about coverage. However Ole is saying I must use a 135mm lens give or take 2mm. He obviously know something I won't until my camras arrive

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have two Patent Etui's, one with a 135 lens and the other a 150mm lens. They both look original manufacture. Also have an 127 Ektar and a newer 135/4.7 Xenar. I will get back with the measurements as soon as I can locate
    them(!)

From what I have read over the years Patent Etui's varied a good bit in terms of lenses etc.

And mine have front (vertical) rise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ian,

According to the Graflex fan site, the Ektar I have was originally supposed to be a lens with some movements on a 3x4 camera. It covers 4x5, and was perhaps the most common lens on 4x5 Speeds and Crowns, but does not allow movements on these 45 models. I have printed 20x24 color from a pic taken at f/5.6 and the corners are just fine. I have used the lens with movements in close-up shots. At any rate, if you frame it a tad loosely, maybe an extra 3-4 mm on all sides, any vignetting or softness that might be there will go away when you print (although I can't say I have ever noticed any). Personally, I love my Ektar, and have found it as sharp as anything else in practice. It also has pretty sweet out of focus areas when shot wide open.

If you would like, I can rig it to my 8x10 Grover, focus on the water tower across the valley, and post a pic of the ground glass at different f/stops so you can see the coverage with your own eyes.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 09-15-2008 at 05:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The problem with using a 127mm lens on a Patent Etui set up for a 135mm lens isn't coverage, it's infinity focus. The camera extends, but it doesn't compress. Eight mm is too much to shim; staying within +- 2mm from the original lens makes everything a whole lot easier!
    Norway

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin