Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,440   Online: 1069

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

To quickload or not to quickoload.

I have just purchased to Graflex 4x5, would like any opinions on Fujifilm quickloads versus plain old filmholders, price not withstanding.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The advantages of Quickloads are that they are dust free and don't require loading in the dark, and you can write on the packets to keep track of exposure information.

Depending on how much film you like to carry, another advantage may be that they are lighter and take up less space than an equivalent number of filmholders, but there is something of a law of diminishing returns on this, depending on how many holders you carry, and how often you reload.

The disadvantages of Quickloads are price, limited choice of films, and if you need to carry a lot of film, Quickloads can be more bulky than loose sheets.

There are a couple of good articles covering most of the available filmholder options at www.butzi.net.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Can I use the Fuji Quickloads in a Polaroid 545i?
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The ideal would be a film which is readily available in both sheets and quickloads, but the only B&W film available now is Acros, and it is difficult to buy it in sheets here in the US. I understand that Kodak used a third party to do their ReadyLoad packaging, and I can only hope that they will package other film now that Kodak has pulled out of that portion of the market. - My fantasies involve finding HP5 and/or FP4 available in Readyload !

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks, David
    alot to consider. The camera came with the polaroid 545i holder and some still good 55 film. Too bad that polaroid film is history. Will see what I come up with.

Jorge

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Anscojohn, yes. It will work. Though Polaroid doesn't support using any of the others, I've used mine with Acros, Velvia and TMX.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Find a Fuji holder and use Fuji film.

I did a road trip last year with just QL and it was so easy.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cdholden View Post
    Anscojohn, yes. It will work. Though Polaroid doesn't support using any of the others, I've used mine with Acros, Velvia and TMX.
    &&&&&
    Thanx
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Per sheet yes, the QLs take a bit more space. But that advantage goes to zero if you are like me and go out with 4 or 5 different kinds of film.

I *love* QLs for travel. With a QL system you take one lightweight holder, and the sheets are individually wrapped so... no need for a changing tent or additional holders. So.. consider that you have 100 QL sheets in your backpack and one holder, that's way less bulk and weight than a changing tent + a box of free sheets + however many holders you feel is necessary to avoid having to pop out the changing tent too often.

Another big advantage is being able to very quickly go from one film to another... e.g. velvia to pro s to acros... in a matter of seconds. And you can casually toss the exposed QLs into your bag and not have to deal with labels or unload them until you're back at home base and ready to develop.

So, notwithstanding the *big* price difference, I'd go with QLs all the time, for travel.

Anscojohn, I had a slight issue with a 545i back not consistently reclipping the QLs correctly every time. Since I wasn't going to shoot any more polaroid with that back, I openend it up and discovered that you can take out the roller mechanism (much lighter!) and another metal thingie that tends to hang up on the QLs; I mentioned it in a blog here. The result is a much lighter back that clips the QLs more consistently. If you do encounter any problems, just remember that there is a metal piece in the 545i that can bend a bit and foul things up, and you can remove it completely without consequence if you are only shooting QLs.
    Last edited by keithwms; 10-01-2008 at 07:19 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Polaroid 545 does not have a pressure plate like the Fuji Quickload holder, so the Fuji holder will hold the film flatter. Also, the Fuji Quickload holder is lighter than the Polaroid 545, and not quite as bulky to pack. It is a very clean and efficient system, and extremely easy to use.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin