Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,482,970   Online: 905

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    What exactly do you want to know? Copal shutters are the only ones currently in production. Made in Japan I believe. I have a Rodenstock 240 mm lens in a Compur #3 that I think is German. Shutters that are Copal come in #0 #1 and #3. Most modern lenses will fit these holes. There is or was a good description at Steve Grimes web site about Copals and reshuttering and all the work it takes to get some of the older lenses into shutters. Then if that is not enough, there are Betas and Compur dials and some of them don't need to be cocked and might be labled #4 or #5. The numbers are about the hole sizes or the diameter of the screw threads.

In my opinion, I like the modern glass. Therefore, I like Copal shutters. Or modern shutters.
    There are others that only like classic oldies. EAch to their own.

lee\c

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Also, as a follow up there are shutters for lenses in a barrel. They are called Packard shutters. They are usually mounted on the lens board behind the lens inside the bellows. They are controlled by a rubber hose and a bulb that you squeeze to make it work. You need to have a hole in the lens board for the tubing to sitck thru. After some practice you can generally control the action of the shutter and make it be about 1/30 to 1/60 of a second. This type of shutter is still made.

lee\c

Lee,

I suppose Compur are still in production. They are present at schneider web site (www.schneideroptics.com)
    sergio caetano

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Sergio,
    You may be correct but I seem to recall over at F32 or rec. photo. largeformat usenet group being told by Bob Solomon that they were not made any longer. There is excellent info on shutters on Tuan's largeformat site.

www.largeformatphotography.info/shutters.html

That will answer just about any question you will ever ask.

lee\c

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Indeed, that sounds familiar. I think Prontor may have ended production as well, leaving Copal as the only modern shutter available new once stocks of the others run out. Packard is still in production, available even in custom sizes from Hub photo. I think these have some non-photographic, non-printing-industry use that may be keeping them alive.

Anyone know about Melles Griot? They are a French company, I think, which produces (or once produced) shutters that look like Ilex shutters, I would guess using the tooling purchased from Ilex when it closed down. These aren't as good as Copal, but they do work, and an Ilex/Acme/Betax/Alphax #5 is often the only option for lenses that won't fit into a Copal 3.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Isn't there a Japanese company making shutters?

Aggie different size lenses need different size shutters. Basically bigger and faster lenses need bigger shutters. Some companies [Fuji anybody else?] seem interested in keeping the shutters they use small.

A bigger shutter is heavier and they have less speeds. A 0 will top out at 1/500 I think. A 1 at 1/400. It's gets slower.

You basically are stuck with whatever the lens you want needs.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    thanks David. I forgot and have never had too much info on the Ilex/Acme et all. I think you are correct in saying that the Prontor is not made any longer.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    out of my old shutters I like the Ilex/acme's the best and the betax's the least.

Steve Grime's web site (may he rest in peace) has quite a bit of shutter info including what lenses will fit in what and what has to be custom mounted.

Cheers,
    Ian

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Of all the old shutters, my favorites are the Compound air-braked shutters. Still precise after 80 years...

Both Compur and Prontor shutters were still in production last I heard. Seiko makes shutters too, but mostly for MF lenses (like my Zenza Bronica).
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin