Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,973   Posts: 1,558,707   Online: 819

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I am sure that you all have noticed that when you put sunglasses on (outside on a bright day) that the fall colors seem so much more vivid. I also know that the human eye has an uncanny ability to adjust to the light spectrum and fool our mind into believing that most outdoor light is "white light".

I am now wondering if it is possible to place a filter on the lens while shooting color film that will increase the saturation of the fall colors. In simple terms "Is there a sunglass filter" that will work properly?

Perhaps if anybody understands this maybe a layman's explanation would be helpful. Thanks.

Kind Regards,
    Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You are looking for a polarizing filter. It removes the glare since it polarizes the light entering the lens. The amount of polarization can be varied by rotating the filter. If you use an autofocus camera, then you will need a "circular polarizing filter".
    Cheers, Shesh

Not to know what happened before one was born is always to be a child - Cicero

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If i'm correct then I believe a polarizing filter should work. Most sunglasses block UV and are polarized, both of which will enrich colors and increase clarity when you look through them.
    RL Foley

Shooter
    Large Format
    There is a filter that does exactly what you want, but I dont recall the name. Go to Calument or B&H and do a search for color filters, it should appear in the list.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You might be thinking of the didymium filter, also sometimes called an "Enhancing Filter."
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Tiffen makes the "Enhancing Filter" -- their sales shtick shows autumn foliage as an example. Easy to find with a Google search.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

If anybody makes what you're looking for it'll be Tiffen. They make all kinds of filters for the movie making industry.

I think they still make the day/night filter too, y'know, the one that was so beloved of Hollywood Westerns and war movies during the 1960s so they could cheap out and shoot "night" scenes in broad daylight.
    Three degrees of separation from Kevin Bacon.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A polarizer and a light warming filter (81B?) is a very common combination - so common that it can be found combined in one filter.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the Tiffen enhancing filter but I only use it once in a while. If it's the same one you are thinking of, it enhances reds. I find it a little overwhelming for some fall colour but I've used it up north when I've been shooting landscapes with a lot of Canadian Shield granite in the picture. It brings out the reds in the granite nicely.
    I think they also call this filter a red enhancer or a didymium filter as David has mentioned.
    Brian McDowell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin