Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,988   Posts: 1,524,059   Online: 1000

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I would suggest a 240mm G-claron. It's a small lens, but still covers more than 8x10! copal 1, and 55mm filter threads. It only opens up to f9, but it's a great little lens for hiking, both for 4x5 and 8x10. I believe they go for about $475 or so.

If your camera can handle a 450mm, I would suggest a Fujinon-c 450. Like the G-claron, it's a nice small lens, copal-1 and 55mm threads.

Both of these make excellent hiking lenses!
    Last edited by Daniel_Buck; 10-30-2008 at 01:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If you can find one, a "true" telephoto for the 4x5 is the Wollensak Tele-Raptar. I think it is 15" inches, or converted, about 375mm. I have one and love it. Like most true large format "telephotos" the coverage is limited, but I really like mine.

Going the route of a G-claron (i have two myself) or similar works very good too, but I personally find that any larger focal length lens that might cover 8x10 or larger is hard to find or expensive if you do. Maybe it is just me, but interested in the larger formats seems to be growing, not shrinking.

good luck
    joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think an inexpensive 4x5 telephoto would suit me better than a 300mm for an 8x10. The less bellows draw the better really. I think I'll keep an eye out for a 300mm tele-xenar. Thanks for the advice. There's one on eBay now but it don't look so pretty.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Schneider-Kreu...1%7C240%3A1318

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    the 15 inch raptar takes about nine and 3/8 inches of bellows , I have one : a nice lens :
    Lauren MacIntosh
    When one's life Ends, then one becomes Life's history !

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Stay away from the 300mm Tele-Xenars: They were an older model, and some of them only cover 6x9cm.

A 360mm f:5.5 Tele-Xenar is a completely different beast: Covers 5x7" straight on, and fits in a Compound #3. Most of them are coated too, unlike the LF 300mm Tele-Xenars. Flange focal distance for the 360 is about 210mm.

If you want something closer to 300mm or a bit less, a non-tele lens is far lighter, cheaper, and has more coverage.

Me?

I use a 355mm G-Claron - when I don't want to lug the 360mm f:5.6 Symmar around.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I used to have a Komura 400mm Tele convertible (300mm, 400mm, 500mm) that I used on a Nagaoka 4x5 and a Shen Hao 4x5. It was just about too much for the Nagaoka at full extension, but the Shen handled it easily. It was a great lens and now Mick Fagan is enjoying the use of it.
    Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I went and got a 300mm tele xenar but aren't sure what copal lens board I need for it. Is it a 1, 2 or a 3?
    Last edited by Jarvman; 01-10-2009 at 02:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarvman View Post
    I went and got a 300mm tele xenar but aren't sure what copal lens board I need for it. Is it a 1, 2 or a 3?
    What shutter is it in? Lensboards are drilled for shutters. Anyhow, if it has a Compound shutter, which is probable, you cannot find any pre-drilled lensboard for it.
    As the Compounds usually comes with a flange instead of a retaining ring, it's better (in my opinion) to attach the flange to the lensboard and then screw in the lens in the flange. Anyhow, here's a link to Ole's data on Compound shutters:
    Ole's Compound data

Good luck with your new lens.
    //Bj÷rn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love my Tele-Xenar. It is a 180mm made for medium format, but they made a whole bunch of different lengths. I would like to get the 270mm myself. Using front tilts and swings is very hairy, however...
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cheers bjorn. Here it is... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=370132415827

Maybe I should've taken Ole's advice and got a 360mm one. I never read anything properly before charging at things! I don't use front tilts/swings so that shouldn't be a problem. It must be a compound shutter which is the reason I couldn't find any marking designating it's lensboard size. How do I go about getting a board for this then? I'm using it on a Chamonix 4x5.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin