Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,481,975   Online: 895

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Good LF tele lens for 4x5

What is a good reasonably-priced tele lens for a 4x5 camera? I was thinking somewhere in the region of 300mm, maybe a bit less but not too close to 150mm. I haven't spent any money in a few days! Any thoughts? edit: The title should say good, I'm not after another goof lens after past experiences!
    Last edited by Jarvman; 10-28-2008 at 11:06 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Look for a good used Schneider Tele-Xenar. I'm pretty sure they came in 300 and 360mm focal lengths. I own a 360, which needs about an 8 or 9-inch bellows draw. Good lens, very sharp. Mine is an early 70s model, I think I paid about $500 for it a decade ago. It is coated, but it appears to be single-coated, not multicoated. I may be wrong. Big copal 3 shutter which I mounted with no problems on a Wisner/Zone VI 4x4-inch lensboard.

Nikon also made very good teles, but I'm not familiar with all the focal lengths they manufactured. The 300mm Schneiders often were sold for Linhof Technicas, so look around for ones on Linhof boards as well.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do you need a tele or just a 300mm? 300mm fast big lenses are pretty cheap these days but may be too heavy for a small 4x5. The small compact slower 300mm seem to have held their resale value better. But are cheaper new

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Nikon 360 has a good reputation. It can also be converted to a 500 or a 720 (if memory serves me correctly), by changing the back group of the lens.
    Tele-Xenars are good lenses too and they are still made today.

//Bj÷rn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Tele-Xenars are good performers, compact too. I have the 210 which is a very capable performer. I also use a 240 Tele-Congo which I bought on Ebay some years ago and again this is a good little lens.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Its not clear whether you really do mean "tele" or just long-focal length. If the latter, and if your camera has sufficient bellows draw, I'd recommend the Nikkor M-300 f9 - particularly if you're into carrying your gear any distance. It is small, light and sharp.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i would suggest 2 different lenses .. either a symmar convertible
    or a 15" tele raptar ( usually comes in an alphax shutter if not in a barrel).
    the raptar is a telephoto and wil not take a ton of bellows to use
    ( it is used on a graflex slr or speed/crown graphic) the convertible will
    take full bellows ... and then some if it is used converted.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If you can find one a Fuji 300mm T F/8 is a good lens, that only needs about 210mm of bellows draw. If your camera has enough bellows draw skip the telephoto and go for a long lens like a Nikon 300mm M or Fujinon 300mm C. They will be lighter, take smaller filters and be marginally sharper. Also they have the benefit of covering 8x10 if you ever decided to go that route. None of the Telephoto lenses in the 300-360mm range will cover 8x10.

Hope it helps.

Gary
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for hours.
    Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I use both a 9.0/240 apo-ronar and a 5.5/360 tele-xenar. The tele-xenar needs a bellows draw of about 220 mm. Mine is about 25 years old, single coated, Linhof labelled and very sharp. It weighs about 900 gr and takes 67 mm filters. My Toyo 45AII has about 32 cm maximum bellows draw and this is probably the longest focal length it can take without adding the extension back. Using movements with this lens is something to get used to because of the tele construction. The 240 mm fits nicely between my 150 mm and the 360 mm and is less sharp than the tele-xenar. It takes 49 mm filters and is much lighter and is easier to use with movements.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hey jarvman, let us know what camera you have. Alot depends on this.. BTW there are some very similar recent threads on htis subject. make sure you check those out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin