Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,065   Online: 799

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hood?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not sure of the proper term, but I'm wondering what some of you use for the hood you hide under while viewing your images through the ground glass.

I'm very new to LF and in the very few photographs I've taken, I've simply used a black sweatshirt with the neck over the film holder. This can get quite hot on summer days (as I discovered at Smith Rock near Bend, OR this past summer).

I tried using a t-shirt but it really wasn't dark enough and it wasn't very easy to really see the image. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I believe you are refering to a dark cloth. Some people buy them, which can cost about 30 or so dollars depending on the brand. Those usually have velcro or somethign to secure the cloth around the back of the camera. I acutally use a piece of thick cloth bought at wal mart in the fabric dept. its really two pieces sewn together. One side black, the other white. I cost 4 bucks.
    RL Foley

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruby
    ...I'm wondering what some of you use for the hood...
    I call mine "Vito." :whistle:
    Three degrees of separation from Kevin Bacon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's called a focusing cloth. I use an old one made and sold by Zone VI - Calumet may still sell them. There are other commercially made ones.

Some people go to the fabric store and buy the cloth that's made to go on the back side of drapes - it's called blackout cloth or something like that. It's supposed to be fairly lightweight and light proof. They sew their own.

I don't know of anything that helps with the heat, though. I'm in Florida, so I know what you mean.

Depending on what camera you have, there are attachments that fit the over the groundglass forming a hood with an eyepiece. I have one that came with my old Omega (Toyo) 4x5. It's certainly cooler, but I just don't like looking at the ground glass with one eye.

Welcome to Large Format.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Graflex Supergraphic.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'm thinking of designing a hood specifically for our cold Canadian winters. It will have heating elements in it run by batteries. You could even make one that covers the better part of your cameras so it doesn't freeze up as well. Of course I will have to design a little tiny lens scraper so I can get the ice off the front element of my lens as well.

Of course this will have to wait for my current project which is to design an underwater housing for my wooden field camera that will allow me to use my Grafmatics so I can get off at least 6 shots underwater.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The BTZS cloth is supposed to be cooler and lighter. Some people like them and others don't.

I use a traditional cloth.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For my Arca Swiss, I bought a black cloth "end" at a local fabric store and sewed the ends together. It's fairly large but manageable. I just bought a Crown Graphic Special and it came with a viewing hood on the back.
    Brian McDowell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brimc76
    ......and it came with a viewing hood on the back.
    Are viewing hoods as effective as a cloth? I'm looking into LF and it seems the hood would be much more functional than a cloth.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    A cloth is more effective than a folding hood, but when I shoot 4x5", I often use only the folding hood and maybe a hat to provide a little extra shade, in part because I tend to choose 4x5" over a larger format in situations where I want to work more quickly and to be aware of my surroundings (i.e., not under the darkcloth in a crowded place). The folding hood is easier to use if you have a fresnel screen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin