Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,506   Online: 906

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

How to replace ground glass on a Speed Graphic?

Is it really as easy as removing those two bars with little screws on either side of the glass when you have the flip up, eye-killing cover open? I'm considering replacing mine as it's probably nearing 100 years old and I've heard new GGs are brighter. I work a lot indoors and in lower lights so anything to brighten up the image would be cool.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Akki,

it is. Just be carefull to remember the order in wich fresnel (if it is there) and groundglass are placed.
    Fresnel goes in first, with the rough surface facing outwards the camera. Groundglass goes on top, with the ground side facing to the inside of the camera.

G

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Akki14 View Post
    Is it really as easy as removing those two bars with little screws on either side of the glass when you have the flip up, eye-killing cover open? I'm considering replacing mine as it's probably nearing 100 years old and I've heard new GGs are brighter. I work a lot indoors and in lower lights so anything to brighten up the image would be cool.
    If you haven't figured it out already, you can remove the flippy cover by just pushing out on the tabs on each end (at least on my graflock version) Then all you need is a small screwdriver, and what Argus said if their is a fresnel. Although Argus is to tasteful to shill it directly, he makes and markets a fine GG.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I was already looking at Argus's site and was going to order from there but figured I needed to measure the old one too. I'm still debating about if I want the gridded version or the plain version, either would probably be a vast improvement. My Speed Graphic doeesn't have a graflock back It's a spring back. One of the first Top Handle Speed Graphics, so I doubt it has anything as fancy as a fresnal in it.

Also, I'm really confused because the few speed graphic ground glasses I've seen, they're installed "backwards" - with the ground side towards the user instead of towards the lens/bellows. Of course this means the folded fabric has left a sort of X pattern on the ground glass...
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    they're installed "backwards" - with the ground side towards the user instead of towards the lens/bellows. Of course this means the folded fabric has left a sort of X pattern on the ground glass...

??? That changes the focus!
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    ??? That changes the focus!
    Been using it for nearly a whole year before i flipped it around. Didn't see any difference in focusing *shrug*.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    According to Graflex’s Pacemaker Speed and Crown Graphic Service Manual and Parts Manual, (January 1965) the ground glass has a polished side and a frosted side and, “outside” means toward the viewer, the opposite is toward the lens: "Reassemble the focus screen (7) with the polished side of the focusing screen to the outside", and "Assemble the Ektalite field lens [fresnel lens] underneath the glass with the grooved side toward the frosted side of the ground glass" (p.6 sec.6). The same thing is said concerning the back for the Super and Super Speed Graphic in Graflex Service manual (March 1965, p 19 sec.8).
    This holds, as far as I understand, only for those backs to the Graphics that are constructed for the Ektalite fresnel lens. I also have a somewhat older Speed (at least I think it is older than my Crown) though it has a Graflock back the only way to attach a fresnel lens is on top of the polished side of the ground glass, the frosted side of the ground glass toward the lens (like I do on my Sinars). If you change this in some way the film plane will not coincide with the sharp picture on the ground glass (at least it should not coincide if everything is correct!) If you turn the grooved side of the Ektalite lens toward the lens it will not change the focus and you will not see the fresnel rings using the loupe, but the peculiar fresnel effect of lightening the ground glass will not be really as good (my experience at least).
    //Bertil

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    There's no fresnel in my speedgraphic. It's a 1912 top handle speedgraphic before it was named as such really, at least on the camera itself.

By the way, this is an ancient topic to bring up. I did manage to take it apart and then discovered it was mostly being held together by decades of gunk seeping out of the leather (yuck) and the screw holes were totally stripped, no clue how it was holding itself together... Ordered a new groundglass but it's not done yet (no problem) and need to buy new tiny screws but should be doing that tomorrow, otherwise it's being held together with a bit of masking tape which strangely works It'll all come together eventually.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It'll all come together eventually.
    Or it'll all come apart eventually!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Nothing tape can't fit!
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin