Switch to English Language Passer en langue franaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,685   Posts: 1,482,279   Online: 928

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fastest lens?

Shooter
    Large Format

Fast lens suggestions

David,

My suggestions, given the focal lengths you mention would be in line with what others have suggested, i.e. aerial recon lenses.

There are some specific lenses in the list below that might be perfect and would do what you want, however they are VERY rare and tend to be expensive.

- The Ernomann Ernostar- 125/1.8. One sold this past Saturday in Vienna for about $1600.00 USD.
    - The 165/1.8 Ernostar. FAR rarer, one sold on the auction site about a year ago for $3K+.
    - There is also a 180/2.7 Ernostar that is supposed to be amazing (according to Lens & Repro) although it may be too long.
    - Dallmeyer Super Six, either the 125/1.9 or the 152/1.9. The 152 DOES cover 4x5, the shorter one vignettes. Expect to pay about $2K, if/when they come up.
    - The Schneider Xenon, 125/f2. A bit more common, great look. Under $1K.
    - The Reitschel Prolinear 135/1.9, an unusual lens (hard to find) with a very cool visual signature.
    - Plaubel Anticomar- 150/2.9
    - Schneider Xenar 135/3.5
    - Schneider Xenotar 135/3.5 or 150/2.8 BOTH great lenses, however they may be 'too sharp/contrasty' for what you're looking for.
    - The earlier mentioned Aero-Ektars, they are available in both 150mm & 178mm lengths.
    - The Cooke 'Speedic' line- 5"/6.25"/8"/10.25", all 2.5
    - Dallmeyer Pentacs, both 5" and 8". f2.9

I have used many of theses lenses at various times, for examples of their look you can look at some images on my site: www.scharetgpictures.com

Also I've attached a few jpegs to further illustrate. The bar and the anvil were shot with the Rietschel, the Mother & Child was shot with a 150/2.8 Xenotar. Each image was shot wide open.

You can contact me off list if you have further questions.

Best

Robb Scharetg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bar Interior-Maupin-C41.jpg   Jen & Jack-CA entry 2.jpg   V.L.-Marriot Ranch-#2.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Your depth of field is going to suck bawls if you use a 2.7 lens on a 4x5...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I have the mentioned tessar 165mm f2.7 on my anniversary Graflex and thought of it as I read your post. on my flickr I have a few snapshots with it, you can see if you like its signature.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5749381...essar165mmf27/

I have one picture with the 150 3.5 xenar too: http://www.flickr.com/photos/57493810@N00/2600355264/

all snapshots, handheld using the graflex rangefinder. lens was wide open.

best
    fred

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG Fred. Interesting quality with the 150mm f3.5 Xenar, I just bought a late 150mm Zenar and it was \F5.6

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    thanks for the welcome Ian!

Ive just started out with Largeformat and was lurking around here for a long time, getting started APUG is of so much help!

the new Xenar 150 5.6, wow! I ask myself thou why dont just use a 70ies Xenar 4.5? do the coatings make such a difference in this simple lens design?

the Xenar 3.5 is interesting in its drawing and so is the tessar 165, both are well under 100 (Leica shop vienna has a 165 f2.7 in focus mount for 120!)so its a cheap fun to try those lenses. thats what I love about LF!

Rob, your list is so interesting, a lot lenses I have never heard of! thanks for posting!!
    best from vienna,
    fred

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I own a 210/4.5 Xenar, and I don't think coating makes such a difference. Mine is single-coated and, apart when the sun is right in the field, flare is perfectly acceptable. (see http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...41&ppuser=2911 for an example with the sun IN the image, http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...81&ppuser=2911 when the sun is not in the pic...)

I do always use a hood.
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thafred View Post
    the new Xenar 150 5.6, wow! I ask myself thou why dont just use a 70ies Xenar 4.5? do the coatings make such a difference in this simple lens design?

the Xenar 3.5 is interesting in its drawing and so is the tessar 165, both are well under 100 (Leica shop vienna has a 165 f2.7 in focus mount for 120!)so its a cheap fun to try those lenses. thats what I love about LF!

fred
    My 150mm f5.6 Xenar was less than 100 I bought it about 3 months ago from a UK based APUG/LFPI member for 100, it's still looks new. Xenar's were only ever single coated so despite being made around 2000 it's like the 70's versions.

Some where I should still have a 60's perhaps earlier 150mm f4.5 Xenar in a broken shutter, but I've not seen it since the late 80's. The early coatings weren't as good as the later Xenars or even my early 50's CZJ 150mm f4.5 Tessar.

The trade off with Xenar's (& Tessar's) is increased size and weight with the faster versions, and a decrease in optical quality, the design gives it's best performance stopped well down. This was why the Xenotar design was introduced for the fast Schneider lenses.

Robb Scharetg's list is interesting but many of the faster lens won't cover 5x4, so in reality for 5x4 the fastest lenses that are easy to find are the Xenotar and the Aero Ektar.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Two things came in my mind while reading this:

Does 120mm f2.7 tessar cover 4x5 or 9x12?

And i just purchased 135mm f3.5 xenar, it's in a barrel without an aperture scale or leafs. It still has the aperture ring. I was wondering if someone would tell me in what shutter i could try to mount the lens cells? They are coated lenses, which is kinda weird.. i have a 150mm f3.5 uncoated version.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi, and welcome to APUG

I told you there was a post here The person to ask is thafred as you can see he has a Xenar f3.5 135mm.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    thanks for explaining Ian, I didnt know that Tessars were single coated at Zeiss even in 2000! very interesting
    sweet deal you made btw :-)

monkeymon, Welcome from another newbe! You can see the lens catalogs from all the classic manufacturers at http://www.cameraeccentric.com/info.html
    Click on the "Zeiss Photo Lenses Catalog 1927" , P.9 it says the 120 f2,7 will only cover 3 1/3 x 2 1/2, Im afraid the 165 is the only one covering 9x12...mine doesnt vignette too badly thou wide open so If youre in for a Holga effect maybe the 120mm will work on 4x5
    I have the 150 f3.5 and not the 135mm but Im sure on the said Website you will find the data.

Btw, those old lens catalogs are so well written, plus reading that a f4.5 is an "extremely rapid design" makes my heart warmer than hot spiced wine

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive     Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin