Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,894   Posts: 1,520,882   Online: 1088

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Shen Hao lensboard query

For a 90mm lens, should I look for the standard Linhof lensboard, or a recessed board?

I have the 4x5 model.
    Last edited by Colin Corneau; 11-24-2008 at 07:28 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: to add camera information.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A standard board is fine, especially if you have the bag bellows. If you don't, the bag bellows may end up being cheaper than the recessed board. It all depends on how much movement you need - are you shooting architecture with it, or just landscapes?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you don't want to get the bag bellows, get the recessed board. I couldn't get adequate rise and still lock down the front standard w/o really cranking on the knobs to keep the bellows from pushing the standard around so I got the bag bellows. I also don't like being limited by the camera. The bag bellows will work with everything up to a 210mm and will also fold up with the camera, contrary to what some may say.
    vinny
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks, fellers.

I do very little architectural work -- almost all straight-forward landscapes or similar images.

To be frank, I'm jumping ahead a lot further than my actual knowledge and have a lot to learn about movements, bellows compensation, etc. And, I don't have the bag bellows at present.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Plus different 90mms will have slightly different distances. The Nikon for example is around 98mm IIRC flange distance. That makes it easier to use. So if you haven't bought the lens yet it's something to consider.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My 90mm SA needs a recessed board (I don't have a bag bellows) on my Shen. I can focus it OK with a flat board but movements are highly restricted - in fact rise, fall & shift are not wonderful even with a 15mm recessed board (although tilt is fine) so I think a bag bellows is in my future... Using a recessed board is awkward too. Given a straight choice, and especially if I was doing architecture, I think I'd go with the WA bellows in future.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Do not use the 90mm with the standard bellow. It will be ruined very soon. The bag bellow is a lot easier to use and not expensive.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sounds like I shouldn't worry about the board so much as the bellows?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The stock bellows on my HZX45A-II is fairly stiff. I have not tried a 90mm yet, though I did use a 75mm on a flat board. Where I to do that often, I would get the bag bellows to allow easier movement adjustments.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin