Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,129   Online: 848

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Samy's is walking distance down Fairfax from there.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Samy's is indeed right where you're going to be staying, but I have had big problems with their customer service in the past. If you're not a pro looking to drop large sums of cash, they're that much less likely to help you out quickly. And if you're a student (which I'm guessing you're not), forget it--they don't even want to know. I have personally seen them treat students like second-class citizens. Plus, their film & paper selection--particularly B&W--is only a fraction of that available at Freestyle. Samy's is primarily geared toward the high-end d*****l pro photographer, as is Calumet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverhead View Post
    Samy's is indeed right where you're going to be staying, but I have had big problems with their customer service in the past. If you're not a pro looking to drop large sums of cash, they're that much less likely to help you out quickly. And if you're a student (which I'm guessing you're not), forget it--they don't even want to know. I have personally seen them treat students like second-class citizens. Plus, their film & paper selection--particularly B&W--is only a fraction of that available at Freestyle. Samy's is primarily geared toward the high-end d*****l pro photographer, as is Calumet.
    Hogwash.

They will have what you specifically need in this case, and will treat you better that you treat them. I have never had a customer service problem at any Samy's I have patronized (Pasadena, Fairfax, and Santa Barbara). I have had attitude at Freestyle (a store which I love to death way more than Samy's).

The fact that they are a general photography business dictates that they follow the current trends, and has nothing to do with their customer service. If anything, you get ignorance at Samy's, but not bad attitude. I have not dealt with every employee there, however.

Samy's will give you 5 -10 percent off of supplies if you are a student (depending on who is behind the counter). They act concerned about your academic progress, your projects, etc.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 11-28-2008 at 01:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bad attitude is not an experience I've had with Samy's, the people I've dealt with there have always been helpful and friendly in both the L.A. store and Costa Mesa.

That said, if I were in L.A. and shopping for film, it would be at Freestyle, mostly because film and paper has been their primary business since about forever.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thank you guys!
    And I am not really concerned about bad attitudes since my english is far too rough to read between lines (in italian to read between lines means to get the unspoken messages...)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Hogwash.
    I couldn't agree more. Everyone has their own experiences. Personally, I've had my worst experience at Calumet - both LA and Santa Barbara. But Samy's (and Freestyle) has been good to me so long as I know what I want and don't try "chatting it up" with the clerks... they often either don't ahve the time or the interest.

Carsten... I suppose you've seen this already, but if not:

http://www.samys.com/stores.php

(It's the Fairfax store that's near Farmer's Market)

http://www.samys.com/browse.php?cat=300&mfg=0

Shooter
    Large Format
    What you now need to know is where to process the film. There are no labs in San Diego that process 4x5 color neg film. A&I in Hollywood is a good source.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Hogwash.

They will have what you specifically need in this case, and will treat you better that you treat them. I have never had a customer service problem at any Samy's I have patronized (Pasadena, Fairfax, and Santa Barbara). I have had attitude at Freestyle (a store which I love to death way more than Samy's).

The fact that they are a general photography business dictates that they follow the current trends, and has nothing to do with their customer service. If anything, you get ignorance at Samy's, but not bad attitude. I have not dealt with every employee there, however.

Samy's will give you 5 -10 percent off of supplies if you are a student (depending on who is behind the counter). They act concerned about your academic progress, your projects, etc.
    What he said.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Did anyone say Samy's or Freestyle?
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin9999 View Post
    What you now need to know is where to process the film. There are no labs in San Diego that process 4x5 color neg film. A&I in Hollywood is a good source.
    You might try Chrome in San Diego...
    Save the Earth. It's the only planet with chocolate.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin