Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,693   Posts: 1,548,973   Online: 798

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

camerabellows WAS ceasing production, resuming production as Custom Bellows

Hi all,

sad news today. Camerabellows seems to be ceasing production after November 28th. Just seen in German Grossformatforum
    (text in English)

Ulrich

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You have to be a member to read the posts.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    sorry, I didn't know that. The poster cited a message he has received from E.C. Ruffel, managing Director of Camerabellows, informing him that they cannot serve an order as they will cease all trade as of 5.30pm on November 28th.
    He explains that "Over the past few years, Camera Bellows has not produced an acceptable level of financial results and there are no market indications that demand for our product will change in the foreseeable future."
    Sorry, it is not my message so I don't want to cite it in full length.

Ulrich

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    They were sharing a booth with Lee filters at PhotoPlus in New York. If you didn't know who they were, you wouldn't have known from their display. They were mainly promoting self-supporting bellows shades for computer screens, and there was an unassembled Bulldog camera kit in a box there.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Back around 76/77 I went to the previous factory for some bellows, and they instantly found the original manufacturers pattern.

It doesn't surprise me that they'll cease trading, it's unfortunate but there really isn't enough demand. It is possible that someone might continue as a sideline business, but like David I've seen the computer & digital camera bellows shades and they aren't thta appealing or practical. They've made bellows since 1895 and since then made many million sets of bellows, Kodak were their largest customer at the peak of production. A sad day but unfortunately inevitable.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    i would think that at this point a mom and pop bellows shop could do very well for themselves. niche buisnesses generally do very well.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But what does that cease of production mean for the production of the Lee Lens Hoods?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    More important, wonder what this will mean to some of the smaller LF camera makers that were using them for their bellows?
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Camera Bellows is a Ltd company, and has a small modest factory in Birmingham, they downsized and moved a few times over the years. But they have quite high sales/marketing costs, and are part of a larger group of companies.

It's quite likely that someone will pick up parts of their business, bellows are being made in China after all for a variety of cameras. Whether an ex employee will continue making bellows albeit entirely separately on a much smaller scale remains to be seen.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What kind of machinery is used to make this stuff? If it can be made in a garage then I guess there is some hope, but if it needs a large industrial unit with 3-phase supply etc then I guess that's it.

Very sad: another traditional manufacturer that can't survive in today's pile 'em high and sell 'em cheap world.

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin