Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,534   Posts: 1,572,717   Online: 768

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I don't carry reducing backs into the field, but I have a 4x5" reducing back with a sliding back adapter that I use on my 8x10" Sinar P. It's handy to be able to keep the camera set up on a tripod or a stand all the time and have all the features of a studio camera, and if I want to switch to 4x5", I just change backs.

The sliding back has a groundglass on one side for composition and focus, and I can have a filmholder or rollfilm back on the other side ready to shoot for portraits. Here's a natural light portrait with a 6x7cm rollfilm back on the 8x10" Sinar P with the 4x5" reducing back and 4x5" sliding back--

It sounds complicated, but it's very quick and easy to clip these things on and off on a Sinar--easier than taking the whole camera off the tripod and mounting another camera.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My universal mount for barrel lenses is on a lensboard for my 8x10, so if I want to use the little Petzval I bought from Jim Galli that only covers 4x5 (just) I have to use the 8x10.
    Benno Jones
    Seattle, WA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was told once, and it seems true, that having a reducing back, i.e. having a a bellows much larger "around" than the film format, helps reduce flare from the light bouncing around the inside walls of the bellows.

Is that a proper sentence? Geez...
    Keith Ostertag
    keitho at strucktower dot com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I regularly use 450mm and 600mm lenses with the 4x5 back on my Wehman. I always carry the reducing back, an instant film holder, some 4x5 holders and lenses from 600 down to 90mm, all of which work on the 8x10. I've picked up my 4x5 only a handful of times since I made the reducing back. Also great for shooting color when the wind's blowing like hell and you don't want to blow $10 on a sheet of 8x10 film only to find that the extended bellows made it fuzzy.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Versatility, from one camera. Also, 8x10 cameras have more bellows extension, thus enabling you to use "longer" lenses without problems.

Isn't one of the most popular Deardorff cameras actually a 5x7 camera with a factory supplied 4x5 back?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin