Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,303   Online: 1226

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

? About what 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 film I found might be

Hello,

I purchased a Contessa Nettel that arrived today. It came with a Graflex 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 wooden film holder and one side has a sheet in it. Of course I didn't know that, so I exposed the bottom 1/2 in. I have access to C-41, E6 and B&W processing equipment, but don't know which one to run it in. Either C-41 or E6 will wipe it clean if it is B&W. So the question is what is your experience with this size film? What is the likely hood of it's format?

Thank You

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It just occurred to me to check it for notch codes. It seems to possibly be Plus-X Pan Professional PXT, can anyone confirm that this film was offered in this size?

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Any 4x5 film could have been cut to fit leaving the notches intact.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Best way to find out is to open the holder in the dark, and check the notch code. To find the notch code, if you are not familiar with the concept, hold the film holder in your hands with the darkslide pointing toward your body. Open the darkslide, and lift the loading flap. The notch code will be in the right-hand corner of the film, directly under the flap. That will tell you what emulsion it is, assuming it is a (relatively) modern emulsion. Some notch codes may have been recycled over the past half-century, so it is not guaranteed to explicitly identify a film. If it has no notch code, it is probably black-and-white. An alternate explanation for no notch code is that it was cut down from some larger film stock. If this is true, it can't be determined but by daylight examination, at which point it's toast.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Develop it in Diafine. If it's in there, it's in there. Most 3x4 was newspaper work, hence B&W. That does not dismiss the availability of color film but the odds are against it. 3x4 film has also been available for the last 5 years or so from eastern Europe so it might be somewhat fresh.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Which side of the darkslide out?
    Depending on the camera's history, the slide may have been pulled long ago by some curious person.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin