Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,005   Online: 1026

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

What Did I Just Buy?

Anyone have any idea what I just bought? Doesn't seem to have much in the way of marking. I bought it for display but it's got film holders with it. Some sort of 4x5? I suppose I could just wait a couple of days until it shows up but isn't it more fun to guess?

Thanks,
    Dan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1225917233_4.jpg   1225917232_3.jpg   1225917232_2.jpg  
    Last edited by Fotoguy20d; 12-03-2008 at 03:18 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It looks like a camera to me. (I am sorry. I couldn't resist.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm gonna go with cblurton in this one.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    That critter may be a Kodak Premo - there's a couple of them for sale on FleaBay, one of them is item number: 220322021522.

"Beer is proof that God wants us to be happy."

Benjamin Franklin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes it is definitely a camera
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

S°ren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Szabo View Post
    That critter may be a Kodak Premo - there's a couple of them for sale on FleaBay, one of them is item number: 220322021522.
    Thanks for that link - now I need to bid on that one. I have a Premo #1 with a bunch of film holders and a working B&L in RR shutter but the bellows are shot. Would be nice to have a usable one.

This might be one of the R.O.C Premos but I didn't think it's a Kodak one. Maybe a Conley or Seneca? That's assuming it is in fact a camera - I'm still not convinced.

In fact, wonder if it's one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ANTIQUE-SENECA-D...QQcmdZViewItem

Probably not since it doesn't have a double extension bellows

Dan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Whatever it is, it is coming with glass plate holders.

I own a 5x7 Seneca Black Beauty of similar vintage. The camera and the lensboard/lensboard attachment are very much like your camera. Seneca was bought by Conley in the early part of the 20th Century, and Conley became Sears & Roebuck's house brand. Here's the address of a pristine example of a very similar camera: http://www.vintagephoto.tv/senecano9.shtml There are many models that are a variation on your camera's theme. You can find more info by Googling "Seneca Black Beauty." I use mine with modern 5x7 filmholders from time to time, with its original lens or with pinhole apertures. It's an amazing piece of retro technology.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks for weighing in. I agree it seems likely to be a Seneca judging by the black body/bellows. I'm guessing it's 4x5 - if so, it might be a Chautauqua. Might be better able to tell once I get my hands on it and find out the size.

Dan

http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki/Seneca_Chautauqua

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin