Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,064   Online: 998

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Need 8x10 wide lens advice.

hello all. i am new to 8x10 (came from 4x5 and mamiya 7ii). I bought an 1980s vintage deardorff with 5 lenses for 2300usd, and i have a selection of lenses that i will keep. But the 165mm schneider if way too heavy and will most likely sell.
    what i need help with i what are good wide lenses that are not too heavy for 8x10?

thanks all!

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I assume that 165mm Schneider is a Super Angulon, since you find it too heavy?

I use a 165mm Angulon, which however has a sligjt problem with 8x10 except at very small stops. It's really a 18x24cm lens. In the same series the 210mm Angulon is less wide, but provides plenty of coverage.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Images
    These two are nice wides for 8x10, and they are quite small.
    159mm (6-1/4") Wollensak
    9-1/2 Dagor

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The tiny WA Protar's are excellent, I have Ross version a 151mm f16, it's tiny and despite it's maximum aperture of f16 remarkably easy to focus, it has room for movements on 10x8. The Zeiss version is f18, other focal lenghts were available. Ross and Zeiss shared some technology/designs etc pre-WWI, the WA Protar is a Zeiss Patent design that uses technology licensed from Ross. Some are marked EWA.

My Ross lens is a fraction maybe 1-2% of the weight of my 165mm SA

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The little Wolly is a lovely lens, and gives lots of performance for a small, inexpensive lens. But it doesn't offer much coverage beyond 8x10, and needs to be stopped down. But it IS very good in the field !

I'm a big fan of the Series V (f/18) Protars, and they were made by Zeiss, Ross, Krauss, and Bausch and Lomb. Wonderful lenses.
    Downside of the f/18 series is that they are very small, too small for shutters besides Volute, and are pretty rare. But a ND filter and a lens cap will work almost everytime.

Zeiss offered a Series IV (f.12.5) that was a little bigger and fit into a small shutter. They need to be stopped down, but are also extremely fine lenses.

In the rarer-but-you-never-know-what-will-turn-up category are the Dallmeyer, Cooke, Hugo Meyer, there are some others that I can't remember !~

You ought to be able to turn up some f/18 Protars if you need to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How wide do you want?

G-Claron 240mm

Fuji-W 210mm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For 8x10 I use both a Rodenstock 240 Apo Sironar-S in Copal 3 shutter, large heavy lens but good coverage and a Schneider 150 Super Symmar XL in a Copal 0 shutter, for me a truly great lens with excellent coverage. Another large lens requiring 95mm filters. These are modern lenses at their finest but alas are not cheap, however coverage was my main priority with sharpness maintained right into the corners at max shift.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell View Post
    I'm a big fan of the Series V (f/18) Protars, and they were made by Zeiss, Ross, Krauss, and Bausch and Lomb. Wonderful lenses.
    Downside of the f/18 series is that they are very small, too small for shutters besides Volute, and are pretty rare. But a ND filter and a lens cap will work almost everytime.
    They work great with Packards.

Here's what my "5x7" (about 135mm, I think) f/18 B&L Zeiss Protar will cover. The image was made on 11x14 film. You can see the vignette in the upper corners.

There's an 85mm version that would do about the same thing on 8x10. I have one now, but I used the 11x14 for this image because I hadn't got the 85 by that time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pantages-Auditorium.jpg  
    Last edited by bowzart; 12-07-2008 at 12:18 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add 8x10 information

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bowz !

We're letting all the secrets out, shh !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell View Post
    Bowz !

We're letting all the secrets out, shh !
    Ooooops! What was I thinking? I'm not ready to sell them just yet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin