Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,869   Online: 1130

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format

Fujinon & Nikon LF Lenses

In Europe our standard LF Lenses are almost exclusively Rodenstock and Schneider products.

However, we can get Fujinon lenses (rare) and Nikons (v rare)

However, there is almost no information available about them.

I understand that they are more common in other parts of the world.

I am looking primarily at a 210mm 75deg (ish) Lens – either brand new or very recent

How do the Fuji and Nikon Lenses compare to the Schneider and Rodenstock products for sharpness, contrast, coverage, flare and how well do they age – all relative to one another?

I assume the Fujinons are still in production

Are the Nikons still being manufactured?

There is a considerable price difference between the European and Japanese products – which is too large to put down just to Yen:Euro exchange rates.

Thanks for the help

Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not sure what you mean by age.

Nikon Europe used to have the only English language info on Nikon LF lenses. I think they still have a little.

Fuji is still made but Nikon is out of the LF lens business. Some Nikon lenses are still in the shops new.

Both companies have had very similar prices to the other brands for similar lenses. At least I've never noticed huge differences.

Nikon and Fuji have both offered some interesting products that others don't.

Small packbacking lenses. The M series from Nikon 200? 300mm for sure. Fuji also has a small 300mm , 450mm and the 600mm. The Fuji 450mm F/12.5 is tiny. The Nikon in that focal length is in a #3 the fuji is in #1.

The Nikon SW series had the 120mm which covers 8x10.

Fuji's SW line had the 105mm which covers 5x7. A focal length ignored for 5x7 users by the other brands.

The Nikon F/8 90mm is liked because of the higher coverage versus the competing F/8 90mm.

The older Fujis have some interesting lines. The W first series is an 80 degree lens line. The L are modern versions of an older Kodak lens. Both well worth considering.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is some information on this site that is relevant to your questions: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Martin, the hevanet site has some numbers that might interest you....

http://www.hevanet.com/cperez/results.html

Nikon isn't making LF lenses anymore (alas). I don't know about Fuji.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Martin, Robert White sells new Fujinon lenses. They used to stock Nikon until they stopped production.

Barry

Shooter
    35mm
    The early version of the Fujinon 210mm f/5.6 plasmat covered 80 degrees. It can be identified because the manufacturer's description of the lens is on the inside of the lens barrel, on the retaining ring, as opposed to on the outside of the lens barrel. The early Fujinon plasmats are, however, single coated.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For a very long time now, Fuji of Japan manufactures a full line of Fujinon large format lenses, but are not widely distributed in the United States, because there is no official importer. Nevertheless, several retailers directly import Fujinon lenses

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Martin,

I have some Nikon LF lens info on my site. This includes manufacturers specs and a pdf of a Nikon brochure. Follow the link on the LHS from the front page of my site (link to front page below).

http://members.iinet.net.au/~cbird/index.html

As others have said, I understand the Nikkor LF lenses are no longer being manufactured - although there may still be some stock in the supply chain.

I use the SW-90/f8 and M-300/f9 on my 4x5 Technika. I can see no readily discernible difference between them and my Schneider 150 Apo-Symmar - but I dont do colour.

If buying second hand I'd more concerned about the performance of the shutter than the glass (obvious defects excepted).

If buying new, I anticipate quality from any of the four manufacturers you mention will exceed your requirements and I'd base selection on physical characteristics (size, weight, filter size etc) and price over concerns about quality.

Hope this is helpful

Regards

Carey Bird

Shooter
    Large Format
    My take on this has been that for a given age the products from any of R,S,N,F are very similar to each other. Some have concerns about colour matching as the different marques may vary between each other, but for B&W I have happily mixed and matched. I would happily buy any of the modern lenses.

As seabird says for a new lens its more about the match between your needs and the lens, and for older lenses condition.

For details about relatively recent lenses see http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lenses/ For my needs I have a 210 g-claron for hiking (285g 49mm filter image circle 260 but more if stopped down) As it so happens I also have a fuji 210 which at 5.6 is easier in dim light but weighs 500g and needs 67mm filter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here is a nice site on Fuji lenses.

http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/fujinon.htm#coating

I really like my 240 A series lens it's small very sharp and has a ton of coverage for 4X5 and will even cover 8X10.

Allen

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin