Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,462   Online: 868

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    As I recall, I bought my Linhof 4x5" Tech V kit on eBay with four cammed lenses (including a Zeiss 135/3.5 Planar), aluminum case, filters, and various other accessories for $3400 from a relatively new seller on eBay. I asked a few questions about the item just to make sure there was a real person there before bidding, and I got a pretty good deal. We all were new sellers at one time. The key is to communicate, if you have any doubts, and you can find some bargains.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Found this thread...I must say that this is the first time I've ever become notorious over an eBay purchase.

I can report that it is indeed a beauty. Some minor scuffing on the exterior, looks like new on the inside. The locking and sliding mechanisms are so intuitive compared to the Horesman LE I've been using (which I consider well designed in terms of movements).

Yes, the seller only had ten ratings, but it was quite clear that he was a professional photographer, and he answered all my questions to my satisfaction. So, "brave," maybe a bit, but not really.

As for bidding it up from $1,800 to 4,800....you gotta be kidding me. That price jump was more likely a product of Jerald saying "I hate it when people do this when I am thinking of buying something, so I will return the favor" which started this thread and ended up having 500+ people looking at the auction

Despite this possible inflationary result, I do feel comfortable with the closing price....when in the heck would I ever be able to get a hold of this camera again?

It suits my needs to a "T." Lightweight considering its sturdiness, integrated clamshell, and range of movements. Good for my expeditions and back-country work. I can't think of another camera that fits my needs as much.

Ole, thanks for all your posts...they showed up on Google and provided me some decent background (along with Ed's comments). What's you're opinion as to how well it holds up to wind relative to other 4x5s with similar range of movements?

Pete.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    For the Carbon Infinity owners--It's a beautiful camera to be sure, but other than the self-casing feature and general coolness of having a rare carbon fiber/titanium camera with sports-car styling, does it have any attractions over, say, a used Technikardan at about half the price?
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Icescapes View Post

As for bidding it up from $1,800 to 4,800....you gotta be kidding me. That price jump was more likely a product of Jerald saying "I hate it when people do this when I am thinking of buying something, so I will return the favor" which started this thread and ended up having 500+ people looking at the auction
    Pete.
    Oops. Sorry about that. I really don't like it when people do that but those cameras rarely come up and I have read several references to that camera. I thought some here would be interested. I have never seen one in person but they look great.

Along those lines, anyone ever see any of the Lawson 4x4 cameras? Those never seemed to take off.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    ... does it have any attractions over, say, a used Technikardan at about half the price?
    Or an Arca Swiss F-Line Metric with Orbix?
    Jerold Harter MD

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    For the Carbon Infinity owners--It's a beautiful camera to be sure, but other than the self-casing feature and general coolness of having a rare carbon fiber/titanium camera with sports-car styling, does it have any attractions over, say, a used Technikardan at about half the price?
    First of all, it has all the movements you could think of - and then some. For instance the front axial tilt can be tuned so that the tilt axis passes through the entrance pupil of the lens - that means the image doesn't shift if you apply tilt after framing.

And then it can take just about any realistic focal length from 38mm to 600mm with the normal bellows. I have bag bellows for mine which makes it easier to use very short lenses, though.

The self-casing is very useful to me, since I live in a mountainous area: I trust the CI to survive anything I can survive. Landscape photography around here can be tricky...

For those of us who "need" the combination of portability and movements there is simply nothing else which comes close. For photographers in flatter pars of the world it might well be overkill.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Icescapes/Pete
    Welcome to APUG and congratulations on an excellent win.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    Oops. Sorry about that. I really don't like it when people do that but those cameras rarely come up and I have read several references to that camera. I thought some here would be interested. I have never seen one in person but they look great.

Along those lines, anyone ever see any of the Lawson 4x4 cameras? Those never seemed to take off.
    I'm just giving you a hard time. I was prepared for it to spike at the end of the auction, and I ended up paying a fair price vs. a steal. I would have been surprised if no one else had posted the link before it closed.

You can send me a check if you feel any remorse
    Last edited by Icescapes; 12-18-2008 at 08:55 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    First of all, it has all the movements you could think of - and then some. For instance the front axial tilt can be tuned so that the tilt axis passes through the entrance pupil of the lens - that means the image doesn't shift if you apply tilt after framing.

And then it can take just about any realistic focal length from 38mm to 600mm with the normal bellows. I have bag bellows for mine which makes it easier to use very short lenses, though.

The self-casing is very useful to me, since I live in a mountainous area: I trust the CI to survive anything I can survive. Landscape photography around here can be tricky...

For those of us who "need" the combination of portability and movements there is simply nothing else which comes close. For photographers in flatter pars of the world it might well be overkill.
    Ole has pretty much covered why I got it. While it is pretty, and it is rare, that was not the basis for the purchasing decision--I'm going to use it, not drool on it.

Any thoughts, Ole, on my comments about how it holds up to wind in the field? My Horseman LE requires just about a vacuum of air to keep the image projection stable.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Pete, I haven't really used it in any kind of wind. I tend to photograph in cramped locations - deep ravines, dense brush orests and the like. Around here it's either dead calm or gale and rain, so I tend to go out when it's calm.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin