Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,555   Posts: 1,573,149   Online: 816

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    $4,800!?!?!? Kee-ripes, man! I have less than half of that invested into a three-standard (two F one P) Sinar system with five sweet lenses (90 f/4.5, 121 f/8, 210 f/5.6, 240 f/5.6, 360 f/6.8), my near mint Pacemaker Speed (complete kit, with two crates of flashbulbs), and my Kodak No. 2 5x7, plus a plethora of holders for each AND two heavy-duty tripods with heads (#3036 and 3051). I can't imagine this E-Bay camera doing anything for me that I couldn't do with one of these three cameras, except sitting there and looking cool. Ridiculous! I can see that as an original price when large format was the commercial camera of choice, but with the prices in today's market, it is just nuts that these actually fetch that much.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I figure it's like a Porsche. Nobody NEEDS a Porsche. But it is a very elegant solution to a "problem".

I'm of the opinion that a Sinar is entirely unnecessary expenditure when there are far cheaper cameras that would do the same thing.

I say, if you've got the money, and you want something or have a perceived need for it, buy it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Maybe my Technikardan comparison is like asking, "Who needs a Lamborghini, when a Porsche will do?"
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Sit down gentlemen, let me tell you the story about, "Sour Grapes".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Terence View Post
    I figure it's like a Porsche. Nobody NEEDS a Porsche. But it is a very elegant solution to a "problem".

I'm of the opinion that a Sinar is entirely unnecessary expenditure when there are far cheaper cameras that would do the same thing.

I say, if you've got the money, and you want something or have a perceived need for it, buy it.
    I would have agreed with you about Sinar back when they were actually expensive cameras. Nobody needs one to make a decent pic. The guy who first taught me large format was the chief photographer for Northrup for many many years, and all he ever used for 4x5 was a field camera (albeit a nice Linhof one). Nowadays, they have taken a dump in value so much that I think they are worth paying just a little bit more for, given the breadth of their system, their backwards and forward compatibility, and their DB shutter system, which has saved me thousands upon thousands of dollars on lenses with today's market. I have just over $1,500 spent on my system. Say I had gone with a Calumet monorail for $50 instead. I would have spent well over $1,500 on the same compliment of glass with shutters, and still would have had a slower and less solid camera.

I am all for making extravagant unneeded photographic purchases. I am just surprised at the value of these cameras; that is all.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From what I can tell the Infinity has all the usability of a sinar P and the portability of a wooden field camera. This is a pretty rare combination. According to one who actually owns the camera they are the bar by which others are measured. Is this sweet lemons? Considering the source I doubt it. If I had 5k laying around and or a steady stream of Photography work here in Vancouver I'd be tempted.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jd callow View Post
    Icescapes/Pete
    Welcome to APUG and congratulations on an excellent win.
    Thanks, JD.

Unfortunately, I'll have to move this discussion over to the Large Format forum at some point as my plans for the camera are not entirely analog, and hence, not entirely APUG kosher. I felt though, that I owed to you guys to know what happened with the auction, and provide a bit of insight in to why I purchased it (not explaining non-analog reasons in respect of your forum rules and intent).

Quote Originally Posted by jd callow View Post
    From what I can tell the Infinity has all the usability of a sinar P and the portability of a wooden field camera. This is a pretty rare combination. According to one who actually owns the camera they are the bar by which others are measured. Is this sweet lemons? Considering the source I doubt it. If I had 5k laying around and or a steady stream of Photography work here in Vancouver I'd be tempted.
    Pretty much on the money. I need, for my purposes, lots of movement on the rear standard, not something easy to come by in a field-camera, but I don't want to use a relatively shaky monorail in the field (been there with the wonderful, but sensitive Horseman LE). The Carbon Infinity seemed to fit the bill. Plus, I've been shooting in Iceland the last four summers, and the weather can get pretty crappy. The clamshell on this thing is awesome in that regard.

Pete.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Forgive me for seeming like a killjoy. It's not my intention. I am really surprised at the value that camera has held. It is a great tool. Congratulations on the new tool, and I, of course, would have no problems with using it myself! Also, If you consider the value of the guitar I traded for my Sinar, I have nearly $3,000 into the system, not $1,500. I did not think to count it because I inherited the guitar.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 12-18-2008 at 08:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Forgive me for seeming like a killjoy. It's not my intention. I am really surprised at the value that camera has held. It is a great tool. Congratulations on the new tool, and I, of course, would have no problems with using it myself! Also, If you consider the value of the guitar I traded for my Sinar, I have nearly $3,000 into the system, not $1,500. I did not think to count it because I inherited the guitar.
    Well, I guess I can put it this way then. I wonder how much it would cost me to have a camera commissioned with the same specs? If Sinar or Toyo took the request, maybe they'd be kind enough to do it for under $50K? Could they do it without the patent? Maybe S.K.Grimes could work one up for me?

I know I'm being silly here (and I mean it in jest, not to be offensive), but literally that's the situation I was in. I was resigned to having to use a mono-rail, but putting it away when moderate weather came along in the field, or when I couldn't pack it with my other gear for multi-day hikes through mountain passes and coast-line.

Believe me, looking at my choice of food items now for the next couple of months, and the stuff I'm going to have to put on eBay (anyone in need of a great Horseman LE 450?) I hear where you're coming on the price. But just as the price, as you said, may have been justified before digital deflated film-based products, my particular needs now justify the benefit in a cost benefit analysis to bid on the prices that are going for a camera of which a little more than 100 were made, and of which most are in collections and not available for sale (this last part is more the answer to your question about why does it cost so much). I'm quite sure that the opportunity would not have come along again, or it would have been much more expensive. I think the key to where your thinking I'm crazy (a reasonable assumption), is that you feel I have plenty of alternative options.

I could have chosen not to get the camera, but then I'd be complaining to myself for the next x-number of years in Iceland during the rainy, windy summer for not having the specs I've been looking for, and upset that I didn't take the images I had planned to take for my long-term project. There are also particular non-analog advantages of this camera that I'm not detailing (for obvious reason) that are a definite deal-breaker with field-cameras.

I think you're quite correct that most would benefit in making a different purchase, but the stars aligned on this purchasing decision for me (and asked to pay up).

Okay, gotta go and put the Ramen Noodles on the stove

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Pete,

If you ever come to Norway we'll take a stroll in the mounitains with two Carbon Infinity's - and prove why it is the best camera for this kind of landscape and climate. My only niggle is the otherwise nice fitted oxhide bag, which doesn't have a pocket for a film holder.

I'm sure we could rustle up a couple of other LF camera to compare with, too, although my Gandolfi Variant is packed for shipping abroad as soon as the parcel-crushing season is over.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin