Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,940   Posts: 1,585,672   Online: 962

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Field camera that takes Sinar boards

Hello,

I can swear I remember reading about a modern folding field camera line that takes Sinar boards. However, in doing some research for a friend, I looked at the details of Shen-Hao, Tachihara, Chamonix, Ebony, etc., and saw that they all take Linhof boards.

Am I nuts, or does this field camera that takes Sinar boards actually exist?

For those who shoot with one of the cameras I mentioned above and with a Sinar, how do you do it? Do you put every lens on a Linhof board, and use a Linhof to Sinar adapter board when you use the monorail?

Thank you in advance.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The bigger Shen Hao do [5x7 and bigger] or at least they did.

Almost all my lenses are on Linhof boards. My cameras have Sinar to Linhof adapter boards installed. The one lens too big to easily mount on a Linhof board is on a Sinar lensboard. To use that I remover the adapter and mount the Sinar board. I'd do the same thing to use the Sinar type recessed board I bought. Linhof recessed sizes are too tiny for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The ebony 8x10 takes sinar boards, I sold some to an ebony shooter.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Images
    My Canham JMC takes Sinar lensboards—I use them, one per lens. It is a pretty big board!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Phillips cameras I've seen take Sinar boards, but I haven't seen anything smaller than their 8x10.

I use a Horseman monorail that takes the same board as Sinar, and use a Technika to Sinar/Horseman adapter board so I can use the same lenses on a 4x5 Wista and the Horseman without remounting.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My Ebony 8x10 takes Sinar and Linhof boards. My 4x5 Ebony only takes the Linhof size.

The Walker 8x10 Titan XL takes Sinar boards.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The big Ebony, Canham, Shen and Tachiharas all use "Sinar-sized" boards.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Am I nuts...?
    It might help. You just missed it by a day and $5100.00, eBay Item number: 300278585602. A Phillips Concept II 8x10 field camera takes Sinar boards, so does my 1993 Phillips Advantage series 8x10 and Explorer 7x17. What format are you looking for?

I have a Nikkor 450mm M that works on 4x5, 8x10 and 7x17. It sits on a Technika board for the Technikardan and that board goes into a Sinar adapter for the 8x10 or the 7x17.

On the other hand a recent Phillips 8x10 Explorer would take a Technika board. Who is on First?

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the replies. I must have seen the Sinar board spec. when I was looking at the larger-sized Asian cameras; not the 4x5s. My friend wants a 4x5, so looks like he will have to get the Linhof to Sinar adapter board as a solution. Not too bad of a solution, except for minor hassle of having to ditch all the Sinar boards and get Linhof ones instead. Wish Sinar proper made a field camera.

For myself, the 4x5 Tachihara would be a great camera. I do wish that they had a Graflok back, however.

Thank you for all the replies.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 12-12-2008 at 07:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why not consider a Norma? While not a folder, or a field camera per se, it's certainly a "fieldable" camera that many people hike with. Solid, full movements, and not too heavy.

Cheers,

Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin