Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,233   Posts: 1,532,919   Online: 1018

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bmac
    The 4MP camera may be the weak link in your setup. We use the Pictorico Photo Gallery Hi-Gloss White Film with the 2200 (as does Dan) and get great results. You aren't going to get largeformat results from a 4mp file, no matter what kind of software you use to enlarge it. The details aren't captured. Our digital negatives are typically from scanned film files upwards of 100 megs each.
    I can see the 'small' file would come into play but my output size is only 6"x8". I don't see this 'graining' on output to paper - just to OHP. I assume with Gallery White Film you're printing those 'negs' onto silver paper?

Cheers,
    Roger...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 4MP camera may be the weak link in your setup.
    Forgot to mention I also see graining even on 4"x5" prints made from this size file and OHP.

Cheers,
    Roger...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Images
    Currently printing on Silver, soon working on a new curve for AZO. The tonal range with the white film is smoother than the clear.

Brian
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rogein
    The 4MP camera may be the weak link in your setup.
    Forgot to mention I also see graining even on 4"x5" prints made from this size file and OHP.

Cheers,
    Roger...
    Could it be an artifact of the printers spray pattern?

Images

Cheers,
    Roger...[/quote]

Can you post an example?
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not sure how to post a jpg here but:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/rogein/test.htm

The first image is from the digital neg, the second from an in camera neg.

Both obviously show the surface texture of the paper but the digital neg has an overall 'graining' to the image.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Are your negatives bitmapped or half tones? Bitmap negatives can show "grain" at about 50%. I can't tell from your scans where your graining is taking place.

The comment about 4 meg cameras being a weak link depends on the size of the final print. If the final print is a tad smaller than 8" x 10", then there should be sufficient information to make a good silver print.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rogein
    Both obviously show the surface texture of the paper but the digital neg has an overall 'graining' to the image.
    Roger,

How are you making your digital negs? I'm using an Epson 1280 and using Keith Schreiber's approach which involves a color table colorization with a color that looks very much like a Pyro neg rather than the orange that Dan uses. I'm getting some very smooth prints from these negs, and you know that my standard for smooth is VERY high.

Kerik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerik
    How are you making your digital negs? I'm using an Epson 1280 and using Keith Schreiber's approach which involves a color table colorization with a color that looks very much like a Pyro neg rather than the orange that Dan uses. I'm getting some very smooth prints from these negs, and you know that my standard for smooth is VERY high.

Kerik
    Hi Kerik,

Good to hear from you again! Despite the guffaws from my hoser friends up here (you know who I mean :-)) I've been playing with an Epson 2200 and OHP using all 7 inks. I started with Dan's curves for this setup and have gradually modified the curve to suit my pt mix, paper, uv light source, etc. Surprisingly the negs made this way do have the 'pyro' look (ie. they're yellow-brown in colour). I even showed them to the 'hosers' and they thought so too. I'm wondering if the problem is due to the difference between the pigment inks in the 2200 vs the dye inks in the 1280? I'll try using the colour table method (ie. eliminate the black inks?) to see if this may solve the problem?

Cheers,
    Roger...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin