Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,002   Online: 1001

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

types of backs (and changing them)

Hi

I don't know what to call the kind of back my 4x5 camera has but its a spring loaded hinged arrangement to slide in the film holder. I believe this is common. The camera is a Toho camera the same model as this image of the back from KerryThalmanns site.

I'm interested in using a roll film back with the camera and because most of these are made for operation with a grafloc back. Now my camera does not have that so I'm down to sliding it under the flap (can someone help me out here and tell me what this sort of arrangement is called please?)

I'm seriously thinking of considering making a custom back for the camera (that screws into the same mounting holes) to allow for the detachable glass and attachment of these types of roll film holders.

BUT ... due to living in the middle of nowhere I don't really have any access to seeing a grafloc back to get an idea of how it works and what dimensions it has.

So, if anyone has a camera which has this kind of back and wouldn't mind perhaps popping it (back down) onto their flat bed scanner (with a ruler) I'd be really appreciative. I think this would help me with sorting this issue out.

Perhaps its not possible?

thanks
    Theory: you understand why it should work but it doesn't
    Practice: it works but you have no idea how
    Here theory and practice meet, things don't work and I don't know why
    Homepages: here Blog: here

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Your back is generically called simply a "spring back," and what you want is variously called a "Graflok back" or "International back."

Calumet, Sinar, Linhof (Rapid Rollex), and perhaps others all make backs designed to slip under the groundglass, if you would rather not have to make a Graflok-type back for your Toho.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Your back is generically called simply a "spring back,"
    ...if you would rather not have to make a Graflok-type back for your Toho.
    Thanks for the info

however I really like my Toho, and I don't really want to buy another camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pellicle View Post
    Thanks for the info

however I really like my Toho, and I don't really want to buy another camera.
    Ya didn't understand David's response. There are roll film backs designed to slip under your spring back. Calumet, Sinar, Linhof happen to make them.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you really want a graflok back I'd buy a back off a junked camera. Remove the hardware and mount it to a piece of wood sized to fit your Toho.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi Pellicle,

This is an example of the type of back you need for roll film with your camera. It takes the slot normally occupied by the film holder.

Whereas Graflock backs come off and can be replaced with this type

Mike

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter View Post
    Ya didn't understand David's response.
    so it seems, thanks for making that clear

I've currently got a graflex 6x9 one and I've made a sheet of plastic to insert to cover the ground glass when inserting it, it looks clumsy (and is really).

I've just bought a DaYi 6x12 because I wanted wider than 6x9. I believe that it'll be the same as the Graflex unit (although certainly not as well made) and need to use that same glass protector I made up.

Thanks

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by mpirie View Post
    This is an example of the type of back you need for roll film with your
    yep, I know the things I'm looking for, just don't know their names. I shudder at spending 325 pounds (which since I'm an Australian is over $600) for just accommodating roll film holding. Keeping in mind one of the reasons that I want to use roll film is to save money over sheets (another part it to enable me to take more exposures in the field with me). I can still buy and process a lot of film for that!

Still, I think these are mostly in 6x7 and 6x9 (which is really 8.2). I'm also more interested in the 6x12 format as I presently "roll my own" by using a half dark enable me to divide my 4x5 sheet into 2 separate exposures like this:

I'm happy with this, but the reduced format size being held on a single sheet means that I can't scan it on anything like a Nikon 9000 to benefit from the detail. I'm presently using an Epson 4870 (ok for 4x5 but I believe not as good as the Nikon per square cm of scan). It also does not solve the problem of needing to carry 10 or more double darks with me in the backpack (so I think roll has some advantages there).

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    If you really want a graflok back I'd buy a back off a junked camera. Remove the hardware and mount it to a piece of wood sized to fit your Toho.
    not a bad suggestion (although as I do not live in the USA or Japan it will be hard to find a junked camera cheaply when you include postage and customs).

Do you have a suggestion of a good camera to look for?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Whatever is cheapest really. You're just removing the slider hardware etc.

At worse if you have a Shen Hao or other lower priced new camera dealer I'd ask if they could provide a replacement back. I got a back for my 5x7 from the factory so they are available. A local dealer would save you shipping etc and so might end up cheaper then watching Ebay for a Speedgraphic etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin