Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,605   Posts: 1,622,539   Online: 1128

Shooter
    Medium Format

Using Short Focus Lenses on Cambo Monorail

I have a Cambo SC monorail 4"x5" camera and three wide angle/short focus lenses: a Schneider Super-Angulon 47mm (non-XL), a Nikkor SW 65mm, and a Wollensak 90mm. I have one recessed board and will be seeking to buy a couple of other boards, along with a bag bellows.

With the tripod mount between the standards (and the normal bellows attached), the closest the film and lens planes can be is 4" (101mm). Even with the 30mm recess of the lens board, this is not sufficient for the two shortest focal length lenses.

My question, however, is about moving the tripod mount either in front of the front standard or behind the rear standard so the lens film planes can be brought close enough together to focus these lenses. In general, is it better to mount the camera in front of the two standards or behind them? Or, does it not matter?

Rich

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have noticed the board and back mounts can be mounted two ways front to back and the film lens planes can be closer or farther as desired.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Bill,

Well! Am I embarrassed! I paid no attention to this even thought both the lens and film mounts were behind the standards. Reversing the rear mount so it is forward of the standard makes a tremendous difference. Even with the regular bellows I have a few millimeters of rise/fall with the 47mm lens focused (at infinity, naturally).

Thank you very much for pointing out the obvious to me.

Rich

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ah, I wrote too quickly. Mounting the film back in front of the rear standards works fine for a vertical orientation of the negative, but not for horizontal.

I need to purchase a bag bellows and see if that helps. There's still the issue of the tripod mount between the standards limiting how close the lens plane and film plane can be.

It was a good thought, Bill, but the position of the tilt control on the film mount interferes with the back in a horizontal orientation. Unless I'm missing something very simple.

Rich

Shooter
    Large Format
    You can either take the whole standard off and turn it around or you can unscrew the knobs at the top of the standard poles and lift the holders up and turn them around and screw the tops back on . so there are 4 orientations to accomodate the various knobs. and there are the same 4 for placing the lens closer to the film plate.
    If you want to buy a bag bellows I have two. let me know.
    Regards
    Bill
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Large Format
    aakkk! you are absolutely right. I just went down to check and realized I never take mine out of portrait position. But you can choose the lens position.

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know about anything shorter than 90, but here's what I've learned in my recent usage of short lenses.

Put lens on recessed board and use a bag bellows. Install a cable release to the shutter before installing on board since there ins't much space once it is on the board. Put both standards on one end of the rail with enough space to focus, and the tipod mount as close to the center-of-weight as possible. I've been using the "remainder" of the 21 inch rail as a counterbalance because the rail is a bit jiggly when both standards are on one side of the tripod mount. This is better for me than using a short (11 inch) rail. Be careful when focusing, it is easy to poke yourself in the adams apple with the rail that is hanging out behind the GG. [ I should have taken a picture of hte bruise... it was hilarious, in hindsight. ]

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin