Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,416   Online: 975

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

putting a shutter on a lens

I am sure this has been covered in a thread but several searches didn't provide anything. I am looking at a lens on ebay that does not have a shutter. How do I go about 1) getting a shutter (another ebay search?) and 2) installing it onto the lens.

thanks. sorry for probably a dumb question. I'm just excited to be moving onto more than 1 lens for my camera!

allan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Depends on the lens. Some lenses are direct screw ins. You buy a shutter and screw the elements in. These are the easy ones. Many require machine work. If the lens isn't special somehow it's rarely worth the money.

OTOH Loook up packard shutters.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    OTOH Loook up packard shutters.
    OTOH if it is in barrel, put it on a Speed Graphic and use the camera's focal plane shutter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks. how about: it's this one - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=320325097856

worth it? I am still figuring LF lenses out. Most I find of course have shutters.

allan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    wow. sounds complicated. okay, I'll skip that one...thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Based on the SK Grimes site, I could add a Packard to the front, right?

I can't tell if it's the example of the 300mm enlarging lens listed on the table on the site, since that's a different aperture than the ebay one. If it's not worth it then it's not worth it. But I think this would be good information anyway to know.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Putting a Packard on the front wouldn't work unless you completely enclosed it in a box or something like that -- would be cumbersome. Packard only blocks the light coming through it in the normal way. It is not designed to prevent light from getting into the shutter from the open edges of its enclosure.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin