Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,028   Online: 818

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    One of the few bad transactions I have had on eBay occurred when I bought a George Seeley Camera Work photogravure of "The Firefly." I got it relatively cheaply since the print had one corner that was "creased" just inside the image area. When it arrived, the entire corner fell off as I opened the package. There was no damage to the shipping carton and I suspect the corner was torn before shipment, but I had no way of proving that.

I got a similar story from USPS-they would reimburse me for the entire insured value and then destroy the print. I couldn't let that happen to a fairly rare print of my favorite image of all time. I remounted the print and glued the corner in place with almost no indication of the damage unless really scrutinized, but the collector value has certainly decreased because of the damaged corner. I have it on my wall and I'm glad I saved it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Keep it. Fix it.

The reason to insure a parcel is REALLY in case it was lost.

It is the shipper's fault that it was damaged.

But it is your choice to kill it. Don't.

Fix it, shoot it,
    and be a photographer.

Images
    To destroy the camera would be a crime against living history, ecology, and craftsmanship. Still, DanDozer, you certainly do not deserve to take a financial hit. I wonder if the camera was double boxed?

I verge on fanatic when someone ships me a camera or a lens, asking for them to please wrap it like an egg. It seems well worth it to go to an extreme to prevent such a dilemma as you are facing with the 'Dorff, as the insurance solution is far from satisfactory, from many perspectives.

Good luck in settling this problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by walter23 View Post

Maybe you can quickly snap up some totally useless junker 8x10 in the meantime, put a deardorff engraved brass plate on it, and submit that to the post office to have it destroyed
    ha! Just what I was thinking! :o

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We have to keep our perspective. You can get more money easier than you can get another Deardorff. Or, if it is destroyed, easier than the NEXT person can get a Deardorff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try and call the Post Office consumer affairs. If you look at Pub. 122 page 11
    http://www.usps.com/insuranceclaims/...ce%20repair%27
    it says "In the event of loss or damage, the Postal Service reimburses you for the lower of the repair costs or the value of the article at time of mailing, up to the amount of insurance purchased." The people who work at the Post Office will always try to take the easy way out and it's an uphill battle to get them to do otherwise. I'm dealing with the Post Office now and it's like pounding my head into a brick wall. Good luck.

$1400 is a pretty good price for a v-8 'dorff these days---could you replace it for that much? I'd get another repair estimate from Richard Ritter before making any decisions.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Dan...The longer I think about your problem the madder I get. Several years ago I attended the Dick Arentz workshop and befriended a fine photographer from England who had come over for some Arentz pointers. I had taken my 11x14 Deardorff and Roy ultimately mentioned that he would love to have one. I knew there was another Dorff where I had purchased mine and commenced to negotiate the deal when I arrived back home the next week. I purchased it, cleaned and polished what I could and packed it like there was no tomorrow and shipped it by USPS to England. I arrived perfect. My point being that your seller must not have done a very good job at packing that Dorff. We can blame the shipper all day long but alot of the responsibility lies with the seller for allowing the rod to have been bent from lack of any packing judgment. Sounds like the"Dork and his Dorff" to me......Tav
    I just realized that I misread the part that broke. Did the knob break off the end of the rod that goes inside the bed in the back as I thought it was the rod that bent. A bent rod would have meant a massively destroyed camera. My mistake. I might have a fix for you with my machinist I use for custom made parts here in Dallas. Steel, aluminum, titanium,etc. He is a magician with a lathe..........Tav
    Last edited by Brickbird; 12-18-2008 at 11:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    take their offer, and immediately after they hand you a check turn around and offer to purchase that broken camera for pennies on the dollar
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    You are One Sharp Monkey!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin