Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,989   Posts: 1,524,096   Online: 1106

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone for your "moral support". This is a hard decision for me to make.

Allen - you're absolutely right. Their own rules state that they will reimburse you for repairs if the repairs are lower than the insurance amount. Rather than trash the camera, I'm going to try that route and see where it get's me.

Dan

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    This is why I strive mightily to not use USPS for anything - they're a bunch of slack-jawed cretins that are unable to think.

"Beer is proof that God wants us to be happy."

Benjamin Franklin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Szabo View Post
    This is why I strive mightily to not use USPS for anything - they're a bunch of slack-jawed cretins that are unable to think.
    Crap.

You double box a Deardorff, and then you pack it well.
    Most of us turn cheapskate when we pack a piece of craftsmanship
    that can't be duplicated today and bring on our own problems.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Szabo View Post
    No,
    They are people who go do a thankless job day after day after day, one we couldn't have built the country without. As far as the insurance setup, they have to deal with an immense amount of scams like putting the Deadorff label on a different camera...Evan Clarke

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell View Post
    Crap.

You double box a Deardorff, and then you pack it well.
    Most of us turn cheapskate when we pack a piece of craftsmanship
    that can't be duplicated today and bring on our own problems.
    You may have a point, but the poster here is not the one who packed it.
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The first package I ever received from an ebay seller in which neither the "packing" box, which wasn't a real shipping box, or the contents survived the journey was last month. I accepted the package (had no chioice really since it was left by the delivery person) but I immediately contacted the seller and discussed the matter. My solution (gentle demand) was that I get refunded the cost of item plus shipping and the seller pay the return postage. THEN, the seller could deal with USPS insurance on his own to get compensated for the damage. He agreed (reluctantly) but then decided to "abandon the package in place" rather than get it back... which, for an item with value less than $25 was probably a wise decision. If I'm not mistaken, the insurance is between the shipper (seller) and the shipping agent, not between the buyer and the shipping agent.

Good luck to the OP on whatever solution is pursued. If I had bought a Deardorff that got busted in shipping I'd be in the same quandry. For a cheap or easy-to-rebuy item I'd do what I did every time!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I had a wet plate camera completely destroyed in shipping from Germany. It took 9 months to finally get the insurance money from the postal service and this is with the seller and I both working tirelessly to get reimbursed. I hope you have better luck and in a more timely fashion.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'd keep the 'dorff, no matter what. I know it's expensive to get it fixed, but in this case, I'd either bite the bullet and pay, or save your pennies until you can do it easily. I know you said you don't want to do it yourself, but this is pretty simple to fix, so I'd see if you can order the parts and make the repair yourself. Shouldn't take more than an hour or two. DO NOT let the USPS trash the camera!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With items that are not in production, the rarity factor becomes active. For every Deardorff that disappears, there is one less in the world, and so, with each disappearance, the price gets incrementally higher. So, if your camera is destroyed, you'd best hurry up and buy another before the market notices that it's gone. It's sort of like OPEC threatening to cut production; the less there is of a commodity, or an antique, etc. the more the price goes up.

I have decided to have confidence in you to make that right decision, which, to my mind, is to repair it whether the P.O. pays for it or not. I've been on the cusp of poverty all my life, but (maybe this is the reason I'm poor) I would never allow something like that, with real intrinsic value, to be destroyed. It would be unthinkable.

But my poverty shows that I was not endowed with an adequate sense of the value of money. As a former client of mine who successfully stole a bunch of my originals said "money is no problem unless you don't have it." I believe that bastard had gone from riches to rags and back more than once. What's for sure is that in that particular situation, avoiding the problem of not having money didn't work too well for me.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eclarke View Post
    No,
    They are people who go do a thankless job day after day after day, one we couldn't have built the country without. As far as the insurance setup, they have to deal with an immense amount of scams like putting the Deadorff label on a different camera...Evan Clarke
    I'm sure there are scams, Evan. Scams like removing letters' contents and the like.

As far as the "thankless job" - Christmas-time and two lines almost out the door to the counters. One line gets closed because it's the postal "worker's" break time. Other employees in the building but "it's not their time to run the window". Yes - I know they're union.

I've been a union-represented tool/diemaker for the past 40+ years and would be quickly on the the street if I were to pull an equivalent stunt.

If they want "thanks" for their jobs, they'll have to do them first.

"Beer is proof that God wants us to be happy."

Benjamin Franklin

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin