Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,921   Posts: 1,522,078   Online: 791

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

For the Soft Focus Junkies only....

I owe much to Mr. Louis Pacilla who was the lucky first caller on a 5X7 Flatbed outfit that had a Karl Struss Pictorial lens included on Craigs List!! The seller offered to pitch the Struss lens in the trash if Louis didn't want it. Oh my God!!

In any case Louis was a willing conspirator and graciously sold / traded the lens to me. No, I did not steal it from him. The price will be forgotten soon, the images made with the lens may be un-forgetable if I can get it right.

Anyways, HERE is a 3 page spread of first fruits for those of you who are following the ever unfolding story of the re-discovery! Comments are of course more than welcome. I learn much from you all.

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Ha...rrahs_pg1.html

I posted this earlier over at LFForum but some of my friends here don't stop in there and vice versa. Hope it's OK to double post. I have to wait until I'm home these days to post at APUG. Something about the firewall at work I guess.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi, Jim. I love the softness to the photographs. I'd say it was a steal, even if you didn't steal it.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Excellent. It appears to be a quite interesting lens.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Frustratingly, it seems we build our knowledge base one puzzle piece at a time. Some could care less but I always enjoy knowing as much as possible about the different lenses I own and use.

Oh, how I hope that explanatory booklet shows up some time!
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Jim;
    Once again I find myself living (looking?) vicariously through your beautiful lenses. Wonderful work.

Cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I have a lens I built from available pieces and parts hoping for this result but have never really tried it out.

Now, I have to, after looking at Mr Galli's photos.

Very pretty, Jim.

"Beer is proof that God wants us to be happy."

Benjamin Franklin

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks. BTW even though I have this on a speed graphic in order to use the curtain shutter so the lens can be wide open, for these, I never used it. The shortest exposure all day was 1/3 second and the longest was 5 minutes. No shutter needed.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I had read, I beleive it was in 'View Camera', where a school teacher had taken kids' plastic magnifying glasses, mounted them on lensboards, figured out the focal length and played with images. They had a soft focus to them as well. I always wanted to get around to playing with that myself.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    I had read, I beleive it was in 'View Camera', where a school teacher had taken kids' plastic magnifying glasses, mounted them on lensboards, figured out the focal length and played with images. They had a soft focus to them as well. I always wanted to get around to playing with that myself.
    I did that years ago - snatched my grandmother's old glass and brass magnifier and taped it to the front of a camera.

It actually worked - I was amazed then, but not so much now considering what a simple critter a camera actually is.

"Beer is proof that God wants us to be happy."

Benjamin Franklin

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    You're onto it. That's all this multi-thousand dollar lens is. Do a search over at LFForum for 1F99 and 2F99 to see some of Mark Sawyers pictures he did with his high school class. View camera published them. They were gorgeous. It's the collector in me that wants the one in the 1912 aluminum barrel that says Struss Pictorial Lens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin