Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,716   Posts: 1,514,773   Online: 816

Changing Deardorff Backs

Before deciding upon the purchase of a 4x5/5x7 back for my 8x10 Deardorff, I wonder if anyone might comment on the ease of changing from one back to another. Are there any "tips" to make the change between backs easier? When buying a used reducing back are there any faults to be especially aware of? I thank you in advance for any advice and counsel.

Ed
    Last edited by Mahler_one; 12-20-2008 at 06:28 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If they are real Deardorff backs, and the camera hasn't been 'improved',
    it is no different than reversing your 8x10 back. Lift the tabs with your thumbs,
    lift the back off, and replace it. Takes 5 seconds.

Thanks much...seemed that easy, but one never knows.

Ed

Shooter
    8x10 Format

deardorff backs

Sometimes the retaining pins on older backs get worn and driven in too far to hold the back on properly. There's a fellow who routinely sells replacements on e*b*y - he sells them in the original length and also a slightly longer version - I just replaced mine and the back now snaps on like the day it left the factory.
    Tim

Thanks Tim...I noted the same items. If one has a reducing back..or even entertains the thought of getting one...then one should consider keeping the pins on hand.

Ed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It really isn't an issue if you are starting with a new camera.
    After YEARS of use, it won't be a problem.

BUT lots of the cameras that have come into the market over the past 15 years
    have served in catalog houses where they were worked VERY hard.

Like buying a retired Checker,
    the previous owner might have put some serious mileage on your camera.

How many really know what a retired Checker is df?! :} We must both be from some bygone era....those cars ran forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahler_one View Post
    How many really know what a retired Checker is df?! :} We must both be from some bygone era....those cars ran forever.
    I've ridden in Checkers lots of times---probably one of the most comfortable back seats ever built in the US.

The pride of Kalamazoo

Whittlesea in Reno Nevada had a fleet of them in the 70's--I wonder where they were all all retired to?

Ah yes John...the famed back seat of the Checkers...before the age of motels...

Ed

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin