Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,752   Posts: 1,515,886   Online: 1002

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shen-Hao camera

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Does the Shen-Hao take Linhof boards? If it does, the Wista extension lensboard is a handy way of getting some extra extension with long lenses or for macro, and it comes with three threaded disks (Copal 0, 1, and 3, and the smaller ones can be drilled like lensboards), so you can use it with more than one lens.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poco
    Only the front tilt zeros with a "click," but that's a small matter.
    That's one more zero click than a Deardorff has!

I used a Shen Hao and a Toyo 45CF for three months this summer in a side by side comparison.

Both are excellent cameras but I would give the Shen Hao bonus points for the bag bellows option.

If you crave solitude don't get the Shen Hao. Every time I set up everybody had to come over to look at it. Great camera for serious photograpers and wall flowers.

Joe Dickerson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had my Shen Hao now for more than a year and am pleased with it. I would have to vote for it over the Bender for several reasons.

First: compact and portable. Much easier to pack and set up.

Second: focusing with the Shen Hao. It is easier for a beginner to turn a knob to focus than to guess at what is needed with the clamp/slide setup on the Bender.

Third: I've built two 4x5 wood cameras. While it is a labor of love, the father's ego involvement may become a factor when a ding shows up on the Bender for the first time.

I have a friend with the Wista 4x5 and the Shen Hao has better features, in some respects, than the Wista, especially for the money. For example, the axis tilt for the film plane is a bonus. The ability to slide the film plane forward towards the front of the bed for short lenses is very helpful. The Shen Hao is an outstanding value for the money, I don't know of a better deal in a new 4x5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Heres a question- Is there any place on that camera that a level can be mounted without getting in the way of something else? Seems every spot I look at has something there to keep the level out of place.
    Gary Beasley

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    my tripod has several bubble levels as part of the head.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Has anyone here used a 8x10 Shen Hao? If so, what are your impressions of it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I own a 4x5 Shen-Hao, bag bellows, 6X12 back, etc. and so far I am pleased!

I am interested in buying an 8x10 Shen-Hao.

Does anyone on this forum have any experience with USA importers?

How about buying direct from Shanghai?
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    caveat about buying from China direct. Know who you are dealing with. If it is possible that they sell them in Hong Kong there is one good dealer I know of. They take fax or phone orders. Even have English speaking people to help on the phone. the dealer is Tin Chueng I may have the last name off a bit. I used a friend of mine in Hong Kong to buy my Mamiya. He tried it out before sending it on to me. The first camera body was defective. He took it back immediately. Being there he had no trouble making the exchange. These are things you have to be careful of dealing over seas in the Orient. Not all will give you trouble, but many will.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, Aggie - - good advice.

My preference is to find a USA importer ( I will talk to Badger and Midwest Photo Exchange). I bought my 4x5 Shen-Hao from Badger (a good experience).

If the USA route fails, I have been successful buying camera equipment off-shore in the past. Initially, I will try dealing directly with Shen-Hao in Shanghai.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin