Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,871   Posts: 1,583,382   Online: 1096

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shen-Hao camera

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    I own a 4x5 Shen-Hao, bag bellows, 6X12 back, etc. and so far I am pleased!

I am interested in buying an 8x10 Shen-Hao.

Does anyone on this forum have any experience with USA importers?

How about buying direct from Shanghai?
    Tom,
    You may benefit from checking with Sandy King. I believe that he recently told me that he was buying the 5X7 camera direct from the manufacturer. If you want his email address you can message me and I will get it for you. Good luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Donald, good suggestion. I have emailed you.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Images
    Maybe this should be another thread, but........... Does anyone have direct experience with a Bender? I found one thread with one guy who had a Bender, and actually liked it fairly well.

I'm looking to make the jump from medium format to large format. As I understand it, monorail cameras do have advantages over field cameras, and the Bender looks as though it would be any easy monorail to carry around. OTOH, the Shen is a fine lookin' piece of gear.
    "If You Push Something Hard Enough, It Will fall over" - Fudd's First Law of Opposition

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Doug,

The Bender is not a typical monorail. Monorails, with a very few exceptions, are hard to carry - at least a lot harder than a field camera. Trust me, I've tried it. If you do field work, you want a field camera. If you want a monorail, look for a decent used Sinar Norma. You should be able to get a nice one for about $400-500, and it is far more than twice the camera of the bender. In fact, it is a classic.

Of course, for about $750 you could have a nice used Shen Hao (if you can find one) and a used Cambo 'rail for the studio.

Steve

On the View Camera web site

www.viewcamera.com

in the Free Articles section there is an article

4x5 Cameras Priced Less Than $1,200.00. This might be helpful to people.

Regarding the Bender I have said that if you want to build a kit get one. I am not impressed with the finished product. For the same money there are better functioning cameras.

There is another kit camera available from

www.alettaphoto.com

I have not seen one and the phone number in the contact info is not working but the owner does seem to respond to e-mails.

steve simmons

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin