Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,329   Posts: 1,537,180   Online: 805

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shen-Hao camera

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Any thoughts on this camera? One of my students is considering this camera ( or,his parents are asking him). His father was going to build him a Bender but this is another option that has possibilities.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I haven't handled one personally, but all reports have been excellent (perhaps in part due to low initial expectations about a camera made in China). It looks like one of the best deals out there as a field camera with features you wouldn't find on cameras that are two or three times the price (interchangeable bellows, extensive rear movements, Graflok back).
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ann,

I don't own one, but had a chance to check one out at Midwest Photo. I think it's an excellent camera, well made and with a good feature set. It appears to be an excellent value as David points out. The only "fault" I could find is that the bellows draw seems a bit short if you are a long-lens person.

Thanks!

Steve

I've thought of the Bender,Shen and now the new badger. The only info on the badger is the price. The badger website shows a price less then the Shen but no other info yet. The Bender to me seems too expensive for what you get. The Shen seems like a pretty good value.

I figure I won't be making any choices until next spring then it'll be between the Shen and the new badger. If the badger is lighter then I might go that way. The Shen is supposed to be close to 7lbs-(

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The Bender is a wood monorail I believe. Given the choice between it and the SH, I would choose the SH. In nearly two years of reading the Large Format forums, I have yet to see a negative comment about it. IMO, the only better bargain for a 4x5 is a used (and old) Graflex View, which is also a monorail.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The SH is my main 4x5 and I can recommend it almost without reservation. My only minor wish is that its movements would zero out with a bit greater surety. Only the front tilt zeros with a "click," but that's a small matter.

I think the camera gives exceptional bang for the buck.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I now use a SHen-Hao almost exclusively as well. It is very well made. My only wish is that it had more bellows draw. I am going to get a 300mm lens, but I am not sure how close it will focus with that. I think a lightweight lens such as the Nikon f/9 should work well. Other than that I think it is a great camera. Definitely a better deal than a Bender when you factor in time - plus it is a field camera so they are not directly comparable.

My other camera is a Graphic View II wich I would also recommend if you want an inexpensive quality monorail.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    L Gebhardt,

I use a Fujinon 300 C with the SH and am able to focus within 6 ft.

I also rigged an "extension cone" from a tin can for my 450c and am able to cover medium to distance shots with it -- the only problem there is that the lens has a huge image circle and puts out a lot of stray light which the can funnels down to the film. The negs aren't pretty, but I'm able to print through the elevated fog in most cases.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Poco, is this with the front extended out past the front standard? Is the Fujinon 300C the f/8.5 lens at Badger? How do like it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "is this with the front extended out past the front standard?"

Yup. With a compact lens that configuration offers plenty stability. I got mine at Badger and really love the lens ...sharp, compact, huge image circle, etc... Same story with the 450C. They really are jewels.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin