Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,825   Online: 788

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Brightest screen fo 4x5, critical focusing is secondary

Hi, everyone.

So, I'm looking for the brightest screen possible for my 4X5, along with a good fresnel that either comes with the screen, or that I can apply later.

It's been a LONG time since I looked into buying a screen and was wondering what was out there now. Maxwell, Brightscreen, Intenscreen, I'm not sure what's the best choice.

One criteria in all of this, I'm more concerned about the corner to corner brightness of the image than I am the ability to critically focus. So, as much as I appreciate a recommendation for Satin Snow, that's not what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for the brightest corner-to-corner image for quick composition in the field.

Thanks!

Pete.
    Last edited by Icescapes; 12-24-2008 at 07:23 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    i love the maxwell that i have.
    mitch
    mitch brown

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks, Mitch.

I forgot to put down as a reference that I currently have a Boss screen, consisting of laminated glass adhered together.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Don't forget that a good fresnel will brighten up the image considerably, especially with wider lenses. As your primary concern is brightness (and I recon an even good light over the whole GG), a fresnel will definitely help you out, probably more than any custom GG.

//Björn

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks, Björn.

I forgot to mention that yes, I'll definitely be combining with a fresnel. So that's a good point...the post should be both a focus on a bright screen AND a good fresnel. I seem to recall that the Intelescreen incorporates both into one piece.

I'll edit the first post to reflect the need for a good fresnel as well.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Probably Maxwell, particularly since he can fine tune the screen and fresnel combination to the range of lenses you plan to use.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The Boss Screen is hard to beat. Combine that with a Fresnel, and there's nothing better.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have heard from another user that a Bosscreen combined with a Fresnel was the best combination he had tried.

I had a Bosscreen on my Cambos and loved it. I am sorry it does not work with either of my current cameras. Never tried it with a Fresnel though.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Maxwell is superb!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I fitted a Wide Angle Fresnel (made by Ebony) to my Ebony for use with wide angle lenses - wow - what a difference it made.

One of the best value for money things I have bought - ever - http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/c..._detail&p=1156

The Wide Angle Ebony Fresnel does lenses up to 150mm & they have another standard Fresnel for lenses of greater than 150

I have been told by a friend in the LF Camera trade that the laminated Boss Screen is the best there is - provided you keep the screen below 60C - as above that temp is will delaminate.

I was thinking about doing the Boss Screen as well but have been so happy with the WA Fresnel; I have not felt the need to go further

Naturally, the best screen brightness enhancer is a good dark cloth - what ever flavour suits your needs best.

Good luck

Martin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin